Ammonia or nitrite sensor to detect same in saline solution

Doing a project on shrimp cultivation is fresh water. Need to detect the ammonia / nitrite excreted by the shrimp to counter the same. Looking for these sensors to detect them in water.

Have you done a forum/Google search already?
Which ones have you found so far?

The Title says Saline Solution but the Post mentions fresh water?

I will give you my advice (from Wastewater Treatment) for nitrification.
As you know, we cant Nitrify until most of the Biological Oxygen Demand (BOD) is removed.
The simplest solution is to build a Moving Bed Biological Reactor (MBBR), to do Both.
Then you use a Dissolved Oxygen (DO) Sensor and Oxidation Reduction Potential (ORP) Sensor.
Atlas-scientific.com sells both, and there are several Posts on this forum relating to those Sensors & Particle.

Once the bacteria are established in the MBBR, you can tell what’s happening chemically in the MBBR with the ORP sensor. If you want denitrification, you periodically stop the aeration in the MBBR and watch the DO and ORP.

Since I assume your end Goal is to treat the water to remove the various ammonia species, it may make more sense to properly size a MBBR and then measure the effluent, not the influent.

You could easily spend more money on all the sensor probes for Ammonia, Ammonium, Nitrate, Nitrite, etc than building a MBBR w/ DO and ORP probes. I haven’t personally found any reliable consumer or hobby grade sensors/probes for the Ammonia Species. But DO and ORP are standard. You can perform checks with the cheap Pool testing kits for validation for a few of the Ammonia Species, if you want.

There are a lot of experts here in Pool Chemistry and Aquariums. They may have found a good way to measure Ammonia. I’m interested in any other ideas too.

I’ll donate the BioMedia if a few of you Aquarium folks want to try a MBBR.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.