4-20mA signal reading

I’m a total beginner when it comes to electronics.
But I’m working on a project where I have to read a 4-20mA current receiver Signal in hexadecimal form with a photon.
I am using 4-20ma Sensos to connect with 4-20Ma current receiver hardware
What’s the best way to do that?

You don’t read analog values in decimal or hexadecimal at all.
These are just representations of values which happen to be stored in binary form on the device (once acquired) and then “printed” in any other form you choose to use.

But for the actual acquisition of the value: Will you need to read the analog value or is this a smart sensor that does the measuring for you and provides you with the reading in a digital form (e.g. I2C)?

You may need to be more specific about the kind of sensor.

However, the Photon could only read voltage values via its ADC pins, so you’d need some circuitry to translate the dirven current into a Photon “readable” voltage in the range of 0V to 3.3V or you get a 4-20mA smart converter that hands you the digital reading already.

Google is your friend when searching for “4-20mA microcontroller” you might find links like this one

1 Like

this board can used with particle to read 4-20mA signal
if you want to build your own 4-20mA you can use a resistor to convert current into voltage and read it using Analog pin.

Sounds great!!! i ll try out with resistor and check out the output and get back to you and also will help for the above suggested hardware
thanks for the help

Hey I need to know how should I use the device suggested by you is there any code to interface it with particle photon as I am using 4-20mA sensor to check the ADC in hexadecimal values