When is the firmware running, and when not?

I would like to start using my core as a control unit for my greenhouse, which means measuring (temp, humidity, light, etc), logging the data online and controlling water pump, opening the window, etc.

How reliable is the spark core at the moment to do the control functions? Is the script still running when it for example cannot connect to the cloud, or to a wifi network? Or does it stop or reset at those moment?

When my Core was still plagued by the green/cyan flashing bug (luckily not the case anymore), I think the firmware also stopped running, which makes it unreliable to control for example watering of your plants when you are away.

Regards, Rutger

Hello @Wildfire,
In its normal operation, the Core will stop executing the user loop when it loses its connection to the Spark Cloud. You can still have control over this behavior by using Spark’s [Connection Management][1] functions.

We are currently working on improving this feature and giving the user more control over the connection and execution of the Code in absence of internet connectivity.

[1]: http://docs.spark.io/firmware/#cloud-functions-connection-management[quote=“Wildfire, post:1, topic:4722”]
When my Core was still plagued by the green/cyan flashing bug (luckily not the case anymore)
[/quote]

This bug gets squashed with the latest CC3000 patch update. We will roll out its deployment early next week!

1 Like