What are some suggested displays (LCD) with Spark Core

@BayerischBier, take a look at my response on the other thread:

ITEAD is starting to really get involved in the Nextion Forum so things are moving forward. The Nextion Wiki is also a good place to go. :smile:

@peekay123, I also need some LCD screens for a project I want to create. I know you have used the 4D systems display and sounds like you are also using the Nextion. In your opinion, excluding cost, which do you think is a better display? Iā€™ve been using the 4D system display for a few weeks, itā€™s nice but just having issues getting the data I want to display correctly. Still learning how to use all the controls. 4D systems released a new version of their code so maybe that will help with some of my issues, if I can port that version over :smile:

Thanks!

@xcode, if you donā€™t mind the extra cost, the 4D displays are very good. The Nextion is still very new and the tools and firmware are still being developed. I do recommend the Nextion but only for evaluation at this point and not for a final product/project just yet. It all depends how much interaction you need and how complex your UI is. Both displays use Serial I/O and I like that the 4D displays store all the display data on a microSD, giving you unlimited storage of graphic elements. The Nextion is limited to 16MB due to the nature of their hardware design.

Thanks @peekay123, So far I do like the 4D display. Iā€™m currently using the uLCD-28PTU, nice little unit. Iā€™m not much of a graphics type of person so being able to drag and drop controls around is great! I think Iā€™ll go ahead and get a Nextion to play around with and keep down my original plan to use one of these 4D displays in my project.

Do you have any plans to update the VisiGenieSpark lib from the lasted code 4D systems that was released in Sept?

Thanks!

@xcode, not plans but it would be very easy to do. I could get to it over the next few days.

Sweet, thanks. I know youā€™re very busy.

I have been playing with the nextion and also their arduino library. I think it is a good platform for the cost.
I struggle with deciding where to place the brains. On the display or on the particle. It seems like when I do it on the display it just makes it more difficult to synchronize with the particle application.
I have forked their arduino code to add callbacks for page changes. This allows you to push the data to the page as soon as it is loaded. Otherwise you had to poll for the current page.

Overall it is a good looking fun to code display

1 Like

This thread is a year old now but I thought Iā€™d try to continue it to keep all the information together rather than starting a new one. Itā€™s probably time for an update anyway.

Iā€™m currently using the Sparkfun 160x128 serial graphics LCD to view my Photon weather station. But I keep thinking of new data to display and Iā€™m running out of room on the LCD. Does anyone have a suggestion for an LCD display that would be compatible with the Sparkfun display but much larger? Iā€™m thinking 7", 640x480. Color would be nice, touch screen not necessary.

I suppose my other option would be to buy a cheap Android tablet and just use it for its display, but that would entail writing an app to receive the Bluetooth datastream from the Photon and display it, and that sounds like a big pain. A bigger version of the Sparkfun LCD would be ideal. Thanks!

[quote=ā€œMichele, post:109, topic:506ā€]
to receive the Bluetooth datastream from the Photon
[/quote] Iā€™m not sure what you mean by this since the Photon is WiFi, not BLE.

As for the display, there is no ā€œcompatibleā€ display of the size you are looking for. This is primarily due to the display controller on the display you have. For larger displays, a different controller chip and library are necessary. You may want to look at the 7" 800x480 Nextion HMI (smart) display which communicates via UART (ie Serial1 on the Photon). Nextion also sells a 5" 800x480 version.

There is also this 7" RA8875-based 800x480 display from BuyDisplay.com. It is not as advanced as the Nextion. They also sell a 5" version but it is 480x272 pixels.

The Nextion allows you to design you display graphics and layout on an editor. Since it is smart, it can handle animations, menu logic and more without the Photon. It does have a steeper learning curve but the benefits are considerable.

Another approach, that you reminded me of with the Android table, is to use Blynk combined with the cheap tablet. The application which runs on Android and iOS might be the easiest way to get you data display anywhere! There is also a new player called Cayenne that leverages Blynk but with additional tools.

:smiley:

1 Like

Oh yes, I should have explained. I'm using Sparkfun's BlueSmirf dongle connected to Serial1 on the Photon to send the weather data to a second BlueSmirf connected to the LCD. I use the wi-fi to make API calls for stuff like sunrise/sunset times, moon phase, and forecasts. At some point I may hook up to Wunderground too.

Thanks very much for those suggestions - that's a big help and I will look into all of them. There's such a welter of different LCD's out there, mostly documented in Chinese, that it's hard to figure out what will work.

1 Like

@Michele, let us know what you finally go with and donā€™t hesitate to come back with more questions! :wink:

1 Like

Those were all excellent choices. I've decided to finally go with the Nextion display. It seems to have all the features I wanted and should be the least hassle to integrate into my system. Thanks very much for pointing that out. I had done a lot of searching for displays and never even saw that.

Blynk came in a close second - until I discovered I had to pay real money for every UI element I wanted to include. But that led me to something very cool. I discovered the MIT App Inventor. This provides everything Blynk does (creating an Android app without programming) but does it on the PC so you don't have to do it on a tiny phone screen, and it's completely free. I tried it and it works well.

1 Like