Using SparkCore with router

Is is possible to use the Core with a router that isn’t set up over the Internet? Like I want to be able to take a router and set up a network in different places and use the Core to send data back and forth. Can I do that even if its not hooked up to the Spark Cloud or whatever?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi @jsa0014,

Totally! Right now the stock firmware and flashing process are meant to make things easy for people who don’t have a local build environment setup. This kind of change will get easier using the web IDE, but if you wanted to do this now, you could grab and flash the core-firmware, and you can have any kind of behavior you’d like since it’s all open. :slight_smile:

Right now the user application only runs after being connected to wifi / the cloud, but you can disable this in main.cpp, and you can change what server you connect to by changing the IP in core-firmware/src/spark_utilities.cpp on like 447.

Thanks!
David

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply Dave!
I’m a mechanical engineer trying to use this for data acquisition so forgive me if I ask stupid questions haha. Which main.cpp is it in? Also you wouldn’t happen to know when wired coding is gonna be available?

Thanks,

Jonathan

@jsa0014 If you’re up for setting up a local build environment, you can do so now; just follow the README on the core-firmware repository that David linked to.

The main.cpp file that David was referring to is here: https://github.com/spark/core-firmware/blob/master/src/main.cpp

This whole process for making the Core work without the Cloud will be much more well-defined when we release the Private Cloud in January.

1 Like