Using Soft AP example - can't connect to HTTP

I’ve used the SoftAP example as-is and it compiles and flashes fine. I put the Photon in listening mode and connect to the WiFi. I get given the IP 192.168.0.2 and I can ping the gateway 192.168.0.1.

But I can’t connect via HTTP. I just get connection timed out.

Photon firmware version 0.6.3

How do you try to connect?
What browser? Try a non-MS one.
Can you try http://192.168.0.1/index?

I’ve tried with my phone using chrome and with my laptop using chrome.

Just out of interest I updated the code to change the SSID prefix and it has worked, so that’s not the issue. I also flashed tinker, but I’m not sure if there’s any kind of default HTTP service in listening mode, but that didn’t work either.

I’ve tried /index? but no joy

I’ve done a port scan from 1-1000 and nothing is open.

The question mark wasn't meant to be part of it.

HTTP would require 8000 to be open tho'

I tried both with and without the ? as it happens, HTTP is port 80.

Any other ideas :frowning:

BTW: If I connect to port 80 I get a timeout, if I try any other port e.g. 8080 or 8000 I get a connection refusal.

It’s like port 80 is open but there’s no HTTP server running to respond.

Doh’ yup 80 - I was thinking of 8080 and got muddled up :flushed:

Very strange then - no clue what might be wrong then, but you can add some Serial.print() statements to the page handler function.

You have got this in place tho’?

STARTUP(softap_set_application_page_handler(myPage, nullptr));

Can you post a SHARE THIS REVISION snapshot of your project?

Are you in a university or corporate setting that locks down their network very tightly? Some enterprise WIFI routers try to actively suppress “rogue WIFI” connections by looking for things like the Photon in Soft AP mode and then pretending to be that same SSID. The symptom in the past has been that people can connect exactly once but not a second time (since the enterprise WIFI routers takes over that SSID).

1 Like

Not sure how to “share this revision” but here’s the code. I get no serial output other than “LED on” from the main loop. So looks like the myPage handler never fires. I’m not sure if the “setup softAP” would ever get received as I can’t enable the serial monitor fast enough after a reset.

#include "Particle.h"
#include "softap_http.h"

struct Page
{
    const char* url;
    const char* mime_type;
    const char* data;
};

const char index_html[] = "<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><meta name='viewport' content='width=device-width, initial-scale=1'><title>Setup your device</title><link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='style.css'></head><body><h1>Connect me to your WiFi!</h1><h3>My device ID:</h3><input type=text id='device-id' size='25' value='' disabled/><button type='button' class='input-helper' id='copy-button'>Copy</button><div id='scan-div'><h3>Scan for visible WiFi networks</h3><button id='scan-button' type='button'>Scan</button></div><div id='networks-div'></div><div id='connect-div' style='display: none'><p>Don't see your network? Move me closer to your router, then re-scan.</p><form id='connect-form'><input type='password' id='password' size='25' placeholder='password'/><button type='button' class='input-helper' id='show-button'>Show</button><button type='submit' id='connect-button'>Connect</button></form></div><script src='rsa-utils/jsbn_1.js'></script><script src='rsa-utils/jsbn_2.js'></script><script src='rsa-utils/prng4.js'></script><script src='rsa-utils/rng.js'></script><script src='rsa-utils/rsa.js'></script><script src='script.js'></script></body></html>";

const char rsa_js[] = "function parseBigInt(a,b){return new BigInteger(a,b);}function linebrk(a,b){var c='';var d=0;while(d+b<a.length){c+=a.substring(d,d+b)+'\\n';d+=b;}return c+a.substring(d,a.length);}function byte2Hex(a){if(a<0x10)return '0'+a.toString(16);else return a.toString(16);}function pkcs1pad2(a,b){if(b<a.length+11){alert('Message too long for RSA');return null;}var c=new Array();var d=a.length-1;while(d>=0&&b>0){var e=a.charCodeAt(d--);if(e<128)c[--b]=e;else if((e>127)&&(e<2048)){c[--b]=(e&63)|128;c[--b]=(e>>6)|192;}else{c[--b]=(e&63)|128;c[--b]=((e>>6)&63)|128;c[--b]=(e>>12)|224;}}c[--b]=0;var f=new SecureRandom();var g=new Array();while(b>2){g[0]=0;while(g[0]==0)f.nextBytes(g);c[--b]=g[0];}c[--b]=2;c[--b]=0;return new BigInteger(c);}function RSAKey(){this.n=null;this.e=0;this.d=null;this.p=null;this.q=null;this.dmp1=null;this.dmq1=null;this.coeff=null;}function RSASetPublic(a,b){if(a!=null&&b!=null&&a.length>0&&b.length>0){this.n=parseBigInt(a,16);this.e=parseInt(b,16);}else alert('Invalid RSA public key');}function RSADoPublic(a){return a.modPowInt(this.e,this.n);}function RSAEncrypt(a){var b=pkcs1pad2(a,(this.n.bitLength()+7)>>3);if(b==null)return null;var c=this.doPublic(b);if(c==null)return null;var d=c.toString(16);if((d.length&1)==0)return d;else return '0'+d;}RSAKey.prototype.doPublic=RSADoPublic;RSAKey.prototype.setPublic=RSASetPublic;RSAKey.prototype.encrypt=RSAEncrypt;";

const char style_css[] = "html{height:100%;margin:auto;background-color:white}body{box-sizing:border-box;min-height:100%;padding:20px;background-color:#1aabe0;font-family:'Lucida Sans Unicode','Lucida Grande',sans-serif;font-weight:normal;color:white;margin-top:0;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;margin-bottom:0;max-width:400px;text-align:center;border:1px solid #6e6e70;border-radius:4px}div{margin-top:25px;margin-bottom:25px}h1{margin-top:25px;margin-bottom:25px}button{border-color:#1c75be;background-color:#1c75be;color:white;border-radius:5px;height:30px;font-size:15px;font-weight:bold}button.input-helper{background-color:#bebebe;border-color:#bebebe;color:#6e6e70;margin-left:3px}button:disabled{background-color:#bebebe;border-color:#bebebe;color:white}input[type='text'],input[type='password']{background-color:white;color:#6e6e70;border-color:white;border-radius:5px;height:25px;text-align:center;font-size:15px}input:disabled{background-color:#bebebe;border-color:#bebebe}input[type='radio']{position:relative;bottom:-0.33em;margin:0;border:0;height:1.5em;width:15%}label{padding-top:7px;padding-bottom:7px;padding-left:5%;display:inline-block;width:80%;text-align:left}input[type='radio']:checked+label{font-weight:bold;color:#1c75be}.scanning-error{font-weight:bold;text-align:center}.radio-div{box-sizing:border-box;margin:2px;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;background-color:white;color:#6e6e70;border:1px solid #6e6e70;border-radius:3px;width:100%;padding:5px}#networks-div{margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;text-align:left}#device-id{text-align:center}#scan-button{min-width:100px}#connect-button{display:block;min-width:100px;margin-top:10px;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;margin-bottom:20px}#password{margin-top:20px;margin-bottom:10px}";

const char rng_js[] = "var rng_state;var rng_pool;var rng_pptr;function rng_seed_int(a){rng_pool[rng_pptr++]^=a&255;rng_pool[rng_pptr++]^=(a>>8)&255;rng_pool[rng_pptr++]^=(a>>16)&255;rng_pool[rng_pptr++]^=(a>>24)&255;if(rng_pptr>=rng_psize)rng_pptr-=rng_psize;}function rng_seed_time(){rng_seed_int(new Date().getTime());}if(rng_pool==null){rng_pool=new Array();rng_pptr=0;var t;if(window.crypto&&window.crypto.getRandomValues){var ua=new Uint8Array(32);window.crypto.getRandomValues(ua);for(t=0;t<32;++t)rng_pool[rng_pptr++]=ua[t];}if(navigator.appName=='Netscape'&&navigator.appVersion<'5'&&window.crypto){var z=window.crypto.random(32);for(t=0;t<z.length;++t)rng_pool[rng_pptr++]=z.charCodeAt(t)&255;}while(rng_pptr<rng_psize){t=Math.floor(65536*Math.random());rng_pool[rng_pptr++]=t>>>8;rng_pool[rng_pptr++]=t&255;}rng_pptr=0;rng_seed_time();}function rng_get_byte(){if(rng_state==null){rng_seed_time();rng_state=prng_newstate();rng_state.init(rng_pool);for(rng_pptr=0;rng_pptr<rng_pool.length;++rng_pptr)rng_pool[rng_pptr]=0;rng_pptr=0;}return rng_state.next();}function rng_get_bytes(a){var b;for(b=0;b<a.length;++b)a[b]=rng_get_byte();}function SecureRandom(){}SecureRandom.prototype.nextBytes=rng_get_bytes;";

const char jsbn_2_js[] = "function bnpRShiftTo(a,b){b.s=this.s;var c=Math.floor(a/this.DB);if(c>=this.t){b.t=0;return;}var d=a%this.DB;var e=this.DB-d;var f=(1<<d)-1;b[0]=this[c]>>d;for(var g=c+1;g<this.t;++g){b[g-c-1]|=(this[g]&f)<<e;b[g-c]=this[g]>>d;}if(d>0)b[this.t-c-1]|=(this.s&f)<<e;b.t=this.t-c;b.clamp();}function bnpSubTo(a,b){var c=0,d=0,e=Math.min(a.t,this.t);while(c<e){d+=this[c]-a[c];b[c++]=d&this.DM;d>>=this.DB;}if(a.t<this.t){d-=a.s;while(c<this.t){d+=this[c];b[c++]=d&this.DM;d>>=this.DB;}d+=this.s;}else{d+=this.s;while(c<a.t){d-=a[c];b[c++]=d&this.DM;d>>=this.DB;}d-=a.s;}b.s=(d<0)?-1:0;if(d<-1)b[c++]=this.DV+d;else if(d>0)b[c++]=d;b.t=c;b.clamp();}function bnpMultiplyTo(a,b){var c=this.abs(),d=a.abs();var e=c.t;b.t=e+d.t;while(--e>=0)b[e]=0;for(e=0;e<d.t;++e)b[e+c.t]=c.am(0,d[e],b,e,0,c.t);b.s=0;b.clamp();if(this.s!=a.s)BigInteger.ZERO.subTo(b,b);}function bnpSquareTo(a){var b=this.abs();var c=a.t=2*b.t;while(--c>=0)a[c]=0;for(c=0;c<b.t-1;++c){var d=b.am(c,b[c],a,2*c,0,1);if((a[c+b.t]+=b.am(c+1,2*b[c],a,2*c+1,d,b.t-c-1))>=b.DV){a[c+b.t]-=b.DV;a[c+b.t+1]=1;}}if(a.t>0)a[a.t-1]+=b.am(c,b[c],a,2*c,0,1);a.s=0;a.clamp();}function bnpDivRemTo(a,b,c){var d=a.abs();if(d.t<=0)return;var e=this.abs();if(e.t<d.t){if(b!=null)b.fromInt(0);if(c!=null)this.copyTo(c);return;}if(c==null)c=nbi();var f=nbi(),g=this.s,h=a.s;var i=this.DB-nbits(d[d.t-1]);if(i>0){d.lShiftTo(i,f);e.lShiftTo(i,c);}else{d.copyTo(f);e.copyTo(c);}var j=f.t;var k=f[j-1];if(k==0)return;var l=k*(1<<this.F1)+((j>1)?f[j-2]>>this.F2:0);var m=this.FV/l,n=(1<<this.F1)/l,o=1<<this.F2;var p=c.t,q=p-j,r=(b==null)?nbi():b;f.dlShiftTo(q,r);if(c.compareTo(r)>=0){c[c.t++]=1;c.subTo(r,c);}BigInteger.ONE.dlShiftTo(j,r);r.subTo(f,f);while(f.t<j)f[f.t++]=0;while(--q>=0){var s=(c[--p]==k)?this.DM:Math.floor(c[p]*m+(c[p-1]+o)*n);if((c[p]+=f.am(0,s,c,q,0,j))<s){f.dlShiftTo(q,r);c.subTo(r,c);while(c[p]<--s)c.subTo(r,c);}}if(b!=null){c.drShiftTo(j,b);if(g!=h)BigInteger.ZERO.subTo(b,b);}c.t=j;c.clamp();if(i>0)c.rShiftTo(i,c);if(g<0)BigInteger.ZERO.subTo(c,c);}function bnMod(a){var b=nbi();this.abs().divRemTo(a,null,b);if(this.s<0&&b.compareTo(BigInteger.ZERO)>0)a.subTo(b,b);return b;}function Classic(a){this.m=a;}function cConvert(a){if(a.s<0||a.compareTo(this.m)>=0)return a.mod(this.m);else return a;}function cRevert(a){return a;}function cReduce(a){a.divRemTo(this.m,null,a);}function cMulTo(a,b,c){a.multiplyTo(b,c);this.reduce(c);}function cSqrTo(a,b){a.squareTo(b);this.reduce(b);}Classic.prototype.convert=cConvert;Classic.prototype.revert=cRevert;Classic.prototype.reduce=cReduce;Classic.prototype.mulTo=cMulTo;Classic.prototype.sqrTo=cSqrTo;function bnpInvDigit(){if(this.t<1)return 0;var a=this[0];if((a&1)==0)return 0;var b=a&3;b=(b*(2-(a&0xf)*b))&0xf;b=(b*(2-(a&0xff)*b))&0xff;b=(b*(2-(((a&0xffff)*b)&0xffff)))&0xffff;b=(b*(2-a*b%this.DV))%this.DV;return(b>0)?this.DV-b:-b;}function Montgomery(a){this.m=a;this.mp=a.invDigit();this.mpl=this.mp&0x7fff;this.mph=this.mp>>15;this.um=(1<<(a.DB-15))-1;this.mt2=2*a.t;}function montConvert(a){var b=nbi();a.abs().dlShiftTo(this.m.t,b);b.divRemTo(this.m,null,b);if(a.s<0&&b.compareTo(BigInteger.ZERO)>0)this.m.subTo(b,b);return b;}function montRevert(a){var b=nbi();a.copyTo(b);this.reduce(b);return b;}function montReduce(a){while(a.t<=this.mt2)a[a.t++]=0;for(var b=0;b<this.m.t;++b){var c=a[b]&0x7fff;var d=(c*this.mpl+(((c*this.mph+(a[b]>>15)*this.mpl)&this.um)<<15))&a.DM;c=b+this.m.t;a[c]+=this.m.am(0,d,a,b,0,this.m.t);while(a[c]>=a.DV){a[c]-=a.DV;a[++c]++;}}a.clamp();a.drShiftTo(this.m.t,a);if(a.compareTo(this.m)>=0)a.subTo(this.m,a);}function montSqrTo(a,b){a.squareTo(b);this.reduce(b);}function montMulTo(a,b,c){a.multiplyTo(b,c);this.reduce(c);}Montgomery.prototype.convert=montConvert;Montgomery.prototype.revert=montRevert;Montgomery.prototype.reduce=montReduce;Montgomery.prototype.mulTo=montMulTo;Montgomery.prototype.sqrTo=montSqrTo;function bnpIsEven(){return((this.t>0)?(this[0]&1):this.s)==0;}function bnpExp(a,b){if(a>0xffffffff||a<1)return BigInteger.ONE;var c=nbi(),d=nbi(),e=b.convert(this),f=nbits(a)-1;e.copyTo(c);while(--f>=0){b.sqrTo(c,d);if((a&(1<<f))>0)b.mulTo(d,e,c);else{var g=c;c=d;d=g;}}return b.revert(c);}function bnModPowInt(a,b){var c;if(a<256||b.isEven())c=new Classic(b);else c=new Montgomery(b);return this.exp(a,c);}BigInteger.prototype.copyTo=bnpCopyTo;BigInteger.prototype.fromInt=bnpFromInt;BigInteger.prototype.fromString=bnpFromString;BigInteger.prototype.clamp=bnpClamp;BigInteger.prototype.dlShiftTo=bnpDLShiftTo;BigInteger.prototype.drShiftTo=bnpDRShiftTo;BigInteger.prototype.lShiftTo=bnpLShiftTo;BigInteger.prototype.rShiftTo=bnpRShiftTo;BigInteger.prototype.subTo=bnpSubTo;BigInteger.prototype.multiplyTo=bnpMultiplyTo;BigInteger.prototype.squareTo=bnpSquareTo;BigInteger.prototype.divRemTo=bnpDivRemTo;BigInteger.prototype.invDigit=bnpInvDigit;BigInteger.prototype.isEven=bnpIsEven;BigInteger.prototype.exp=bnpExp;BigInteger.prototype.toString=bnToString;BigInteger.prototype.negate=bnNegate;BigInteger.prototype.abs=bnAbs;BigInteger.prototype.compareTo=bnCompareTo;BigInteger.prototype.bitLength=bnBitLength;BigInteger.prototype.mod=bnMod;BigInteger.prototype.modPowInt=bnModPowInt;BigInteger.ZERO=nbv(0);BigInteger.ONE=nbv(1);";

const char jsbn_1_js[] = "var dbits;var canary=0xdeadbeefcafe;var j_lm=((canary&0xffffff)==0xefcafe);function BigInteger(a,b,c){if(a!=null)if('number'==typeof a)this.fromNumber(a,b,c);else if(b==null&&'string'!=typeof a)this.fromString(a,256);else this.fromString(a,b);}function nbi(){return new BigInteger(null);}function am1(a,b,c,d,e,f){while(--f>=0){var g=b*this[a++]+c[d]+e;e=Math.floor(g/0x4000000);c[d++]=g&0x3ffffff;}return e;}function am2(a,b,c,d,e,f){var g=b&0x7fff,h=b>>15;while(--f>=0){var i=this[a]&0x7fff;var j=this[a++]>>15;var k=h*i+j*g;i=g*i+((k&0x7fff)<<15)+c[d]+(e&0x3fffffff);e=(i>>>30)+(k>>>15)+h*j+(e>>>30);c[d++]=i&0x3fffffff;}return e;}function am3(a,b,c,d,e,f){var g=b&0x3fff,h=b>>14;while(--f>=0){var i=this[a]&0x3fff;var j=this[a++]>>14;var k=h*i+j*g;i=g*i+((k&0x3fff)<<14)+c[d]+e;e=(i>>28)+(k>>14)+h*j;c[d++]=i&0xfffffff;}return e;}if(j_lm&&(navigator.appName=='Microsoft Internet Explorer')){BigInteger.prototype.am=am2;dbits=30;}else if(j_lm&&(navigator.appName!='Netscape')){BigInteger.prototype.am=am1;dbits=26;}else{BigInteger.prototype.am=am3;dbits=28;}BigInteger.prototype.DB=dbits;BigInteger.prototype.DM=((1<<dbits)-1);BigInteger.prototype.DV=(1<<dbits);var BI_FP=52;BigInteger.prototype.FV=Math.pow(2,BI_FP);BigInteger.prototype.F1=BI_FP-dbits;BigInteger.prototype.F2=2*dbits-BI_FP;var BI_RM='0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz';var BI_RC=new Array();var rr,vv;rr='0'.charCodeAt(0);for(vv=0;vv<=9;++vv)BI_RC[rr++]=vv;rr='a'.charCodeAt(0);for(vv=10;vv<36;++vv)BI_RC[rr++]=vv;rr='A'.charCodeAt(0);for(vv=10;vv<36;++vv)BI_RC[rr++]=vv;function int2char(a){return BI_RM.charAt(a);}function intAt(a,b){var c=BI_RC[a.charCodeAt(b)];return(c==null)?-1:c;}function bnpCopyTo(a){for(var b=this.t-1;b>=0;--b)a[b]=this[b];a.t=this.t;a.s=this.s;}function bnpFromInt(a){this.t=1;this.s=(a<0)?-1:0;if(a>0)this[0]=a;else if(a<-1)this[0]=a+this.DV;else this.t=0;}function nbv(a){var b=nbi();b.fromInt(a);return b;}function bnpFromString(a,b){var c;if(b==16)c=4;else if(b==8)c=3;else if(b==256)c=8;else if(b==2)c=1;else if(b==32)c=5;else if(b==4)c=2;else{this.fromRadix(a,b);return;}this.t=0;this.s=0;var d=a.length,e=false,f=0;while(--d>=0){var g=(c==8)?a[d]&0xff:intAt(a,d);if(g<0){if(a.charAt(d)=='-')e=true;continue;}e=false;if(f==0)this[this.t++]=g;else if(f+c>this.DB){this[this.t-1]|=(g&((1<<(this.DB-f))-1))<<f;this[this.t++]=(g>>(this.DB-f));}else this[this.t-1]|=g<<f;f+=c;if(f>=this.DB)f-=this.DB;}if(c==8&&(a[0]&0x80)!=0){this.s=-1;if(f>0)this[this.t-1]|=((1<<(this.DB-f))-1)<<f;}this.clamp();if(e)BigInteger.ZERO.subTo(this,this);}function bnpClamp(){var a=this.s&this.DM;while(this.t>0&&this[this.t-1]==a)--this.t;}function bnToString(a){if(this.s<0)return '-'+this.negate().toString(a);var b;if(a==16)b=4;else if(a==8)b=3;else if(a==2)b=1;else if(a==32)b=5;else if(a==4)b=2;else return this.toRadix(a);var c=(1<<b)-1,d,e=false,f='',g=this.t;var h=this.DB-(g*this.DB)%b;if(g-->0){if(h<this.DB&&(d=this[g]>>h)>0){e=true;f=int2char(d);}while(g>=0){if(h<b){d=(this[g]&((1<<h)-1))<<(b-h);d|=this[--g]>>(h+=this.DB-b);}else{d=(this[g]>>(h-=b))&c;if(h<=0){h+=this.DB;--g;}}if(d>0)e=true;if(e)f+=int2char(d);}}return e?f:'0';}function bnNegate(){var a=nbi();BigInteger.ZERO.subTo(this,a);return a;}function bnAbs(){return(this.s<0)?this.negate():this;}function bnCompareTo(a){var b=this.s-a.s;if(b!=0)return b;var c=this.t;b=c-a.t;if(b!=0)return(this.s<0)?-b:b;while(--c>=0)if((b=this[c]-a[c])!=0)return b;return 0;}function nbits(a){var b=1,c;if((c=a>>>16)!=0){a=c;b+=16;}if((c=a>>8)!=0){a=c;b+=8;}if((c=a>>4)!=0){a=c;b+=4;}if((c=a>>2)!=0){a=c;b+=2;}if((c=a>>1)!=0){a=c;b+=1;}return b;}function bnBitLength(){if(this.t<=0)return 0;return this.DB*(this.t-1)+nbits(this[this.t-1]^(this.s&this.DM));}function bnpDLShiftTo(a,b){var c;for(c=this.t-1;c>=0;--c)b[c+a]=this[c];for(c=a-1;c>=0;--c)b[c]=0;b.t=this.t+a;b.s=this.s;}function bnpDRShiftTo(a,b){for(var c=a;c<this.t;++c)b[c-a]=this[c];b.t=Math.max(this.t-a,0);b.s=this.s;}function bnpLShiftTo(a,b){var c=a%this.DB;var d=this.DB-c;var e=(1<<d)-1;var f=Math.floor(a/this.DB),g=(this.s<<c)&this.DM,h;for(h=this.t-1;h>=0;--h){b[h+f+1]=(this[h]>>d)|g;g=(this[h]&e)<<c;}for(h=f-1;h>=0;--h)b[h]=0;b[f]=g;b.t=this.t+f+1;b.s=this.s;b.clamp();}";

const char script_js[] = "var base_url='http://192.168.0.1/';var network_list;var public_key;var rsa=new RSAKey();var scanButton=document.getElementById('scan-button');var connectButton=document.getElementById('connect-button');var copyButton=document.getElementById('copy-button');var showButton=document.getElementById('show-button');var deviceID=document.getElementById('device-id');var connectForm=document.getElementById('connect-form');var public_key_callback={success:function(a){console.log('Public key: '+a.b);public_key=a.b;rsa.setPublic(public_key.substring(58,58+256),public_key.substring(318,318+6));},error:function(a,b){console.log(a);window.alert('There was a problem fetching important information from your device. Please verify your connection, then reload this page.');}};var device_id_callback={success:function(a){var b=a.id;deviceID.value=b;},error:function(a,b){console.log(a);var c='COMMUNICATION_ERROR';deviceID.value=c;}};var scan=function(){console.log('Scanning...!');disableButtons();scanButton.innerHTML='Scanning...';connectButton.innerHTML='Connect';document.getElementById('connect-div').style.display='none';document.getElementById('networks-div').style.display='none';getRequest(base_url+'scan-ap',scan_callback);};var scan_callback={success:function(a){network_list=a.scans;console.log('I found:');var b=document.getElementById('networks-div');b.innerHTML='';if(network_list.length>0)for(var c=0;c<network_list.length;c++){ssid=network_list[c].ssid;console.log(network_list[c]);add_wifi_option(b,ssid);document.getElementById('connect-div').style.display='block';}else b.innerHTML='<p class=\\'scanning-error\\'>No networks found.</p>';},error:function(a){console.log('Scanning error:'+a);document.getElementById('networks-div').innerHTML='<p class=\\'scanning-error\\'>Scanning error.</p>';},regardless:function(){scanButton.innerHTML='Re-Scan';enableButtons();document.getElementById('networks-div').style.display='block';}};var configure=function(a){a.preventDefault();var b=get_selected_network();var c=document.getElementById('password').value;if(!b){window.alert('Please select a network!');return false;}var d={idx:0,ssid:b.ssid,pwd:rsa.encrypt(c),sec:b.sec,ch:b.ch};connectButton.innerHTML='Sending credentials...';disableButtons();console.log('Sending credentials: '+JSON.stringify(d));postRequest(base_url+'configure-ap',d,configure_callback);};var configure_callback={success:function(a){console.log('Credentials received.');connectButton.innerHTML='Credentials received...';postRequest(base_url+'connect-ap',{idx:0},connect_callback);},error:function(a,b){console.log('Configure error: '+a);window.alert('The configuration command failed, check that you are still well connected to the device\\'s WiFi hotspot and retry.');connectButton.innerHTML='Retry';enableButtons();}};var connect_callback={success:function(a){console.log('Attempting to connect to the cloud.');connectButton.innerHTML='Attempting to connect...';window.alert('Your device should now start flashing green and attempt to connect to the cloud. This usually takes about 20 seconds, after which it will begin slowly blinking cyan. \\n\\n\\nIf this process fails because you entered the wrong password, the device will flash green indefinitely. In this case, hold the setup button for 6 seconds until the device starts blinking blue again. Then reconnect to the WiFi hotspot it generates and reload this page to try again.');},error:function(a,b){console.log('Connect error: '+a);window.alert('The connect command failed, check that you are still well connected to the device\\'s WiFi hotspot and retry.');connectButton.innerHTML='Retry';enableButtons();}};var disableButtons=function(){connectButton.disabled=true;scanButton.disabled=true;};var enableButtons=function(){connectButton.disabled=false;scanButton.disabled=false;};var add_wifi_option=function(a,b){var c=document.createElement('INPUT');c.type='radio';c.value=b;c.id=b;c.name='ssid';c.className='radio';var d=document.createElement('DIV');d.className='radio-div';d.appendChild(c);var e=document.createElement('label');e.htmlFor=b;e.innerHTML=b;d.appendChild(e);a.appendChild(d);};var get_selected_network=function(){for(var a=0;a<network_list.length;a++){ssid=network_list[a].ssid;if(document.getElementById(ssid).checked)return network_list[a];}};var copy=function(){window.prompt('Copy to clipboard: Ctrl + C, Enter',deviceID.value);};var toggleShow=function(){var a=document.getElementById('password');inputType=a.type;if(inputType==='password'){showButton.innerHTML='Hide';a.type='text';}else{showButton.innerHTML='Show';a.type='password';}};var getRequest=function(a,b){var c=new XMLHttpRequest();c.open('GET',a,true);c.timeout=8000;c.send();c.onreadystatechange=function(){if(c.readyState==4)if(b){if(c.status==200){if(b.success)b.success(JSON.parse(c.responseText));}else if(b.error)b.error(c.status,c.responseText);if(b.regardless)b.regardless();}};};var postRequest=function(a,b,c){var d=JSON.stringify(b);var e=new XMLHttpRequest();e.open('POST',a,true);e.timeout=4000;e.setRequestHeader('Content-Type','multipart/form-data');e.send(d);e.onreadystatechange=function(){if(e.readyState==4)if(c){if(e.status==200){if(c.success)c.success(JSON.parse(e.responseText));}else if(c.error)c.error(e.status,e.responseText);if(c.regardless)c.regardless();}};};if(scanButton.addEventListener){copyButton.addEventListener('click',copy);showButton.addEventListener('click',toggleShow);scanButton.addEventListener('click',scan);connectForm.addEventListener('submit',configure);}else if(scanButton.attachEvent){copyButton.attachEvent('onclick',copy);showButton.attachEvent('onclick',toggleShow);scanButton.attachEvent('onclick',scan);connectForm.attachEvent('onsubmit',configure);}getRequest(base_url+'device-id',device_id_callback);getRequest(base_url+'public-key',public_key_callback);";

const char prng4_js[] = "function Arcfour(){this.i=0;this.j=0;this.S=new Array();}function ARC4init(a){var b,c,d;for(b=0;b<256;++b)this.S[b]=b;c=0;for(b=0;b<256;++b){c=(c+this.S[b]+a[b%a.length])&255;d=this.S[b];this.S[b]=this.S[c];this.S[c]=d;}this.i=0;this.j=0;}function ARC4next(){var a;this.i=(this.i+1)&255;this.j=(this.j+this.S[this.i])&255;a=this.S[this.i];this.S[this.i]=this.S[this.j];this.S[this.j]=a;return this.S[(a+this.S[this.i])&255];}Arcfour.prototype.init=ARC4init;Arcfour.prototype.next=ARC4next;function prng_newstate(){return new Arcfour();}var rng_psize=256;";

Page myPages[] = {
     { "/index.html", "text/html", index_html },
     { "/rsa-utils/rsa.js", "application/javascript", rsa_js },
     { "/style.css", "text/css", style_css },
     { "/rsa-utils/rng.js", "application/javascript", rng_js },
     { "/rsa-utils/jsbn_2.js", "application/javascript", jsbn_2_js },
     { "/rsa-utils/jsbn_1.js", "application/javascript", jsbn_1_js },
     { "/script.js", "application/javascript", script_js },
     { "/rsa-utils/prng4.js", "application/javascript", prng4_js },
     { nullptr }
};

void myPage(const char* url, ResponseCallback* cb, void* cbArg, Reader* body, Writer* result, void* reserved)
{
    Serial.printlnf("handling page %s", url);

if (strcmp(url,"/index")==0) {
        Serial.println("sending redirect");
        Header h("Location: /index.html\r\n");
        cb(cbArg, 0, 301, "text/plain", &h);
        return;
    }

int8_t idx = 0;
    for (;;idx++) {
        Page& p = myPages[idx];
        if (!p.url) {
            idx = -1;
            break;
        }
        else if (strcmp(url, p.url)==0) {
            break;
        }
    }

if (idx==-1) {
        cb(cbArg, 0, 404, nullptr, nullptr);
    }
    else {
        cb(cbArg, 0, 200, myPages[idx].mime_type, nullptr);
        result->write(myPages[idx].data);
    }
}

void prepareSoftAP();

STARTUP(prepareSoftAP());
void prepareSoftAP()
{
  Serial.println("Setup softAP");
  softap_set_application_page_handler(myPage, nullptr);
  System.set(SYSTEM_CONFIG_SOFTAP_PREFIX, "Smart-E-Spa");

}

// Press SETUP for 3 seconds to make the Photon enter Listening mode
// Navigate to http://192.168.0.1 to setup Wi-Fi

// Include the rest of your application below,
// including your setup and loop functions

int led2 = D7;

void setup() {

Serial.begin();
  pinMode(led2, OUTPUT);

}

void loop() {
  Serial.println("LED on");
  // To blink the LED, first we'll turn it on...
    digitalWrite(led2, HIGH);

// We'll leave it on for 1 second...
    delay(200);

// Then we'll turn it off...
    digitalWrite(led2, LOW);

// Wait 1 second...
    delay(1000);

}

No, that's a good point though!

For me that code works.
Your device's RGB LED is blinking blue?

BTW, I would not set the SoftAP prefix with every restart.

Are you not using Web IDE?
In Web IDE you have a button with exactly that caption

I hate to have to say this, but it’s now working and I have changed literally nothing. I haven’t even reflashed the code. I just spent 20mins searching for answers and hit refresh on the already open page in my browser.

BTW I have 2 photons here and neither of them were working. One has just started working so I’m going to have a play around and see what I can figure out.

I just feel like this is “another one of those issues” by which I mean strange things happen that no-one ever seems to be able to pinpoint. I’ve made a post about this in the past. I’m a software engineer and I dabble in hardware development. I’m more of a hacker/maker and I’ve been with Particle since I preordered one of the 1st batch of Spark Cores.

My experience has always been, the platform/device is “a bit flakey”, So much so whenever I develop something new I always start off on an Arduino, then port to Particle. Why? Because all the different Arduinos I’ve used don’t have random issues that come and go.

It’s a bit long to get into now, but in the past I’ve used Cores, Photons and Electrons. I’ve used the web IDE, CLI and desktop IDE. Flashed via cloud and USB. I’ve found with different devices and projects that after a few hours of solid coding/reflashing the photons just stop working properly - in different ways. Then I swap to a new one and the problems go away. I’ve had 3 electrons in a row that support have said were faulty and replaced and they all had different intermittent issues.

The end result is I can’t develop a serious product using Photon and I REALLY WANT TO!

In the past I’ve got as far as designing and getting custom PCBs made and enclosures 3D printed. But due to constant issues I abandoned the project. I’m now picking Particle back up again after months to try and start a new project which I want to launch on Kickstarter for a summer delivery and it’s just the same story all over again as soon as I start work.

I’m genuinely gutted because Particle is great for tinkering, but when it comes to serious work it’s just not happening and I’d love to get this product off the ground.

No, desktop / CLI

Ah does that setting persist on the device? Where's the best place to put that code, so that it only executes once? Is there a System.get I can use to check it first? (I just copied the code from an example listed on here)

BTW in the time it took me to write the post above it’s now stopped working. Again I’ve literally touched nothing, it’s just been sat on my desk and I refreshed the already open window.

Yup, it's stored in the DCT area.
Unfortunately there is no System.get() although it was proposed several times (by me too).

I've no clue how this could happen. The device right next to me keeps blinking and responding for quite a while now.
But with all my devices (and I have a few) I only ever had one device with poor WiFi reception but that was consistently bad.

Playing around with it now, it just comes and goes. If I keep trying sometimes the page will load, sometimes I will get to the next step. I’ve not managed to successfully configure one of them yet though.

I have 2 photons here, but maybe I’ll order a couple more and try those.

I just don’t understand why I always get these random issues.

Hi @Nemiah

I don’t think Particle devices are flaky compared to other embedded hosts, but they can be more difficult to debug due to the constraints of the platform. Just my experienced $0.02.

Two more things I think you should look at:

1. Photon power supply: Make absolutely sure you have a good power supply for the Photon. Don’t use some no-name brand wall wart–get the good stuff.

2. WiFi channel congestion: Sitting at my desk I can “see” around 17 WiFi access points using many different channels. It is a very challenging RF environment for a little Photon AP to manage. Try moving the brower device very close to the Photon or even better try moving the entire experiment to a less challenging environment.

2 Likes

UPDATE: The softAP seems to be working fairly reliably now (in some ays) despite changing nothing, but I’ve currently got 2 issues.

1. Can’t seem to perform xmlHttp requests to http://192.168.0.1 from another domain. More info here -> https://github.com/mebrunet/softap-setup-page/issues/6

2. Aside from the issue above, running the setup directly from the photon: It works in Chrome but then doesn’t work in FF on the same machine. Then retried in Chrome, works. I’ve tried several different times but it just will not load in FF at all, but will happily load in Chrome all day long.

Any suggestions? There must be something at play here we’re missing.

what do you mean another domain?

This is a software access point, it is not attached to your LAN.

Once you connect it to your LAN, it will have an IP address granted by your router.

Can you clarify?

1 Like