Using Particle Mesh Devices with the OpenThread Border Router

As mentioned here my Fanstel USB Dongles arrived, the other 2 types are on backorder.

I seem to be able to activate the OpenThread Border Router Docker on my Ubuntu laptop, but I am really confused about how to update software on the Dongles. I think it should be fairly easy with the USB connection and all, but finding simple working examples is not very easy. What makes things even more confusing is the terminology. Some pages talk about bluetooth 5, others Thread and others OpenThread. Most examples are for Dev boards and not for the Dongles.

Absolutely no information came with the Fanstel Dongles and I don’t even see a button of any kind on the USB stick. (There is however a Phillips screw that is just begging to be unscrewed.)

If anyone has worked with these or has any suggestions for sending programs to them I am all ears.
I know the firmware image is here and JLINK is supposed to be useful but I don’t even know how to install JLINK

I just like making bash files of all the installation commands and then never having to think about that stuff ever again.

@peekay123 did you get your Nordic Dongles yet?

1 Like