I have been working on an automated plant water system and have published detailed instructions on Hackster.io.
You can read all about it there but, I decided to build my own in order to get more experience with the Particle Platform - and I have learned a fair bit in the process thanks in large part to this community and @ScruffR, @RWB, @Viscacha, @LukeUSMC, @mariahernandez, @jotathebest, @mikemoy and @peekay123 in particular.
The system uses the Photon, Ubidots and the Weather Underground as well as some creative plumbing to deliver the following:
- Remote monitoring via web or smartphone
- Notifications via e-mail or text if anything goes wrong
- Intelligent watering based on soil moisture and weather forecast
- Fail-safe design which would not lock up and would fail safe (and dry)
- Ability to extend and improve the system with data over time
- Tap into the house’s plumbing for all-season use
Please take a look and let me know how I can make it better. Whether I continue to develop this project will depend on how much interest and support I get. I know there are a large number of similar projects out there.