TinyGPS and Spark Core

@paolosofio01, yes, you can use the Adafruit one

@krvarma can i just ask, is this gps receiver compatible and good to use, im currently in the philippines and i cant find any better gps receiver, also i dont want to order and waste my time again waiting.

please check this out and let me know if this is passed or fail to you. thanks!
http://www.dynamodo.com/robotics/robotics-sensors/mod028-modules-gps-module.html

Really sorry for the delay @paolosofio01 somehow I missed this post.

I think it is better to find a Breakout Board with Serial interfacing since it is really easy to use.

i think we really need the gps receiver, does the link i sent above can satisfy the project like yours? thanks!

@paolosofio01, you need GPS Receiver board and Spark Core to work on your project. Regarding whether the above link can used, any GPS receiver can be used. The TinyGPS does not directly access the GPS receiver, it only parses the NMEA string we receive and pass it on to the TinyGPS library.

I think the product can be used but you should confirm by looking at the datasheet. The datasheet is not provided in the link above. A similar product I found is https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12751. I suppose the above product you mentioned is same as this one.

@krvarma yeah i think they’re almost the same. So do you think its a check? Btw, what will we look at in a gps receiver for it to be okay in this project?

@paolosofio01, as I told you before any GPS receiver that outputs NMEA strings should work.

found it already, and it outputs NMEA strings. thanks! btw, in your opinion what can we use much better, the TinyGPS or the Adafruit GPS library? thanks!

1 Like

Great to know you got it working @paolosofio01!

The libraries both has its own merits and demerits, you can use any of them.

@krvarma i remembered you’ve said that you are converting the adafruit library? am i correct that you’re converting it with the google maps?

@paolosofio01, I didn’t start working on it because of some other works. I will be doing it this week or next. I am not sure what you mean by converting it with Google Maps, sure it will work with the TinyGPS example I wrote.

@krvarma ohh its okay, i think im gonna use the TinyGPS. btw, do you know how to rotate the true north on the google maps? i found this one but the code is so confusing - http://christianheilmann.com/2010/02/09/rotating-maps-with-css3-and-jquery/

if you have time, can you just check it out and give me some suggestions on how to do it. thanks!

@krvarma

i already bought the GPS Receiver (it outputs NMEA strings), how can i make it like the one in the picture you’ve uploaded with 4-pins.

this has 6-pins
- GND
- VIN
- RX
- TX
- GND
- IPPS

how will i connect this with the spark core?

• Receiver GND to Spark Core GND
  • Receiver VIN to 5V/3V3
  • RX to Spark Core Tx
  • TX to Spark Core Rx

This should work.

1 Like

@krvarma no i mean how will this be connected to the breadboard? how about the other 2 pins in the receiver?

@krvarma how can i use the tinyGPS to connect it with multiple cores?

@krvarma why is it that the gps wont on? i already did what you’ve said and searched other over the net?

@krvarma hi! can i see the program on your spark web IDE, the one stored on the core?

I could be mistaken, but isn’t that the one that’s included in the library? It can be found in both the first post (github link), as well as in the libraries section of the build IDE.

As @Moors7 said, it is already there in the Github and the library. Is that what you are looking for?