TCPClient connect Issues

@bko. Does this code work on the latest DEVELOP? It seems that a lot of WiFi features are broken/unreliable on anything more than the default Particle Dev IDE firmware.
The main reasons I left the “official” firmware of the Dev IDE are:

• TCPServer.stop()
  • smaller firmware size (or at least flexibility to manually reduce it)
  • hope for bugfixes and improved reliability.

I got the first two, but apparently not the last one. WiFi.ping() doesn’t work (I’m not alone with this one: Ping not working on develop branch?)…and with the latest DEVELOP, WiFi.connecting() doesn’t appear to work either.

I wrote some code to stack all the socket statuses into one variable, via the socket status code you kindly provided. Here’s the code I’m using to stack it all together:

mBase = 0;
      for(mWork = 6; mWork <= 0; mWork--)
        {
          mBase <<= 1;
          mBase |= get_socket_active_status(mWork);        // Returns SOCKET_STATUS_ACTIVE = 1, INACTIVE = 0.  That's the only options.
      }
      Serial.print("SocketStat: "); Serial.println(mBase, HEX);
```
And I always get...0.  Regardless if the Core is connected to the :cloud: or not.

I peeked into the firmware "evnt_handler.c" and found that <code>get_socket_active_status</code> is really bit-masking an internal variable with the socket statuses in it.  As in: 

//*****************************************************************************
//
//! get_socket_active_status
//!
//! @param Sd Socket IS
//! @return Current status of the socket.
//!
//! @brief Retrieve socket status
//
//*****************************************************************************

INT32 get_socket_active_status(INT32 Sd)
{
long rv = SOCKET_STATUS_INACTIVE;
if(M_IS_VALID_SD(Sd))
{
rv = (socket_active_status & (1 << Sd)) ? SOCKET_STATUS_INACTIVE : SOCKET_STATUS_ACTIVE;
}
return rv;
}

As mentioned before, I always get 0, regardless of whether the TCPClient succeeds or fails to connect to an external server (in this case, [textbelt.com][1]).  Any suggestions?  Or perhaps I should return to Particle Dev IDE?  I suppose the way to synthesize `TCPServer.stop()` is with `WiFi.off(); WiFi.on();`?

[1]: http://textbelt.com