Stable cellular reconnection newly ruined with Boron 2.0.0-rc1, and perhaps earlier

Today I have new testing experience which further proves my observations of the equally-laughable equally-disconcerting reality that Particle has gone backwards - far backwards - in the stability of their flagship product from 1.3.1-rc1.

I’m equally happy about 1.3.1-rc1 as enraged and infuriated about how much time and money has been wasted with 2.0.0 and perhaps earlier.

Test using the SAME Boron:

1. 2.0.0 was connected with good cellular. Unplug antenna.

2. It naturally stopped uploading. I came back an hour later. Reattached antenna.

3. UTTER and seemingly permanent failure to ever reconnect/reupload automatically without power cycle. Simliar to my 10-hour-never-reconnect experience from above.

4. Downgraded to 1.3.1-rc1 with the special necessary 1.5.2 which the Particle engineer was kind enough to let me know about in the other thread.

5. Same thing: got it connected, unplugged cell, stopped uploading, came back in 20 minutes.

6. INSTANT reconnection/resumption of uploading compared to 2.0.0.

Then I did the same thing again, except I let it disconnected for a whole hour with antenna removed, then came back again to non-uploading antenna-disconnected 1.3.1-rc1, and reconnected antenna, and likewise, INSTANT reconnection and uploading.

What a pathetic and deleterious disaster Particle Device OS updates have been post 1.3.1-rc1. Despite listing so much cellular improvements in their release notes, they have utterly destroyed and ruined their flagship product with poorly tested software products.

@avtolstoy saved the entire Particle company from being a useless disaster when he divulged to me a necessary secret, previously published nowhere, that allows one to successfully downgrade from garbage 2.0.0 to working 1.3.1-rc1.

Thankfully, because @avtolstoy was so nice to share this info with me in the other thread, it seems I can stick with Particle and have a working, excellent LTE IoT product. That is, strictly with 1.3.1-rc1, and I will never again in my life make the mistake of installing a new Particle update.

I will go to the therapist the next time Particle comes out with a Device OS update and have him or her help me rationally view the history at play. This will help me from falling into the temptation again of believing Particle’s cellular-improvement-bragging release notes which are none than deceptive Sirens (link) luring me into certain disaster.

1 Like