Spark memory vs arduino clarification

Hello, Sorry for the easy question but because i am thinking of bying a sparkfun i have to ask.

I am programming an arduino and the memory about 256 kb seem to run out and i can’t program anything else.
The spark mentioned that it has 2MB of memory does this mean that it has 8x the memory of what i currently have more or less? if so that is fantastic.

Thanks for the quick clarification

@meltoner, are you sure you are asking this in the correct community? This is not “sparkfun”. This is the forum for the Spark Core.

I have no idea where you got the 2MB from. If you look here (http://docs.spark.io/hardware/) you will find the current specs.
There is a new version of the Core in the pipeline, but AFAIK no final word about the specs.

I imagine he meant to write "Sparkcore" and instead wrote "Sparkfun." I'll admit, i've done this before if I'm distracted.

Technical Specs for the lazy:
Spark Core

ARM 32-bit Cortex™-M3 CPU Core
72Mhz operating frequency, 1.25 DMIPS/MHz (Dhrystone 2.1)
128KB of Flash memory
20KB of SRAM
12 bit ADC
USB 2.0 full-speed interface
USART, SPI and I2C interfaces
JTAG Debug mode

Arduino Uno

Microcontroller ATmega328
Operating Voltage 5V
Input Voltage (recommended) 7-12V
Input Voltage (limits) 6-20V
Digital I/O Pins 14 (of which 6 provide PWM output)
Analog Input Pins 6
DC Current per I/O Pin 40 mA
DC Current for 3.3V Pin 50 mA
Flash Memory 32 KB (ATmega328) of which 0.5 KB used by bootloader
SRAM 2 KB (ATmega328)
EEPROM 1 KB (ATmega328)
Clock Speed 16 MHz

1 Like

Hey @meltoner,

You are right about the 2Mb memory but that’s an external SPI Flash add-on used to store factory reset firmware and server keys.

With that said, 1.5Mb is available for you as storage just like the EEprom that you might be familiar in Arduinoland. :smile:

They can’t be used for user firmware space but that might become possible in future.

For now, the amount you have on the STM32 is stated in the previous post. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@meltoner if I am correct, you are using an arduino mega256. By moving to an arduino Due, you get double the program flash, more RAM, etc. You may want to look at the Digix board which is Due compatible.

1 Like

Thank you all for your answers !

Correct I have 32k (confused the ending) Max 32.256 byte
And you are correct i am talking about the spark core!

so with 4 times my current flash memory 128k I guess i l have a lot of fun! :smile:

Thank you for the clarifications!

1 Like

@meltoner, of the 128K flash available on the STM32F103 of the Spark Core, 20K is used for the bootloader and about another 75K or so is used for the core firmware. The balance is left for the user application. :smile: