Software Serial on Boron LTE

Hey,

So I have actually two questions. In my project I have an Adafruit GPS hooked up to my Boron LTE over Serial1, but I was wondering if there is anyway I can use SoftwareSerial on the Boron (I read in another post that this isn't possible, but that was 5 years ago, wondering if this still holds true today)? Also, is it safe to program the Boron over Serial while the GPS is hooked up to Serial1 (as in, it won't cause anything weird to happen to the GPS)?

Thanks in advance!

Software serial is not possible on the nRF52 devices (Boron, Argon, B SoM, and Tracker), or RTL872x devices (P2, Photon 2).

The best option is the SC16IS740/750/760 line, which can connect by SPI or I2C and use the SC16IS7xxRK library. This works well on all of the devices above. You can easily find breakout boards on Amazon/eBay/AliExpress or use the bare chips.

1 Like

Hey,
Thanks for the reply.

So after some research on the Boron, I am somewhat confused. Are Serial and Serial1 completely different channels?

@joe_boron, Serial1 uses the RX/TX pins on the Boron while Serial uses the USB port. So yes, they are different "channels".

1 Like

Ok, thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.