SmartBBQ: WiFi controlled 4 probe BBQ controller with blower output

This is fixed now.

I added here as well as to the transistor. I couldn't get it to work how I wanted with a polygon and thermo reliefs. For some reason it kept absorbing it into my ground plane. I ended up just using a rectangle. Not ideal, but should work for my first run of the board.

It was at 8mil. I increased to 10 mil for supply connections and it's 8 mil for everything else.

Thanks for the feedback. Files uploaded here and I'm submitting to fab house tonight. Time to work on software while anxiously awaiting the board arrivals.

2 Likes

Cool, cool.

I guess the 4mil was an optical illusion presented by the image being a bit screen-compressed or something.

I wonā€™t nitpick your board anymoreā€¦ thereā€™s always time for more revisions later, get one built and see whatā€™s missing :smile:

2 Likes

im anxiously awaiting this board! in the meantime, i smoked a turkey for the 4th using a combination of a sous vide and computer controlled smoker using a raspi.

the results were epicā€¦ while the meat was smoking, i tried to build a pebble app to show me current temp. never got it done. too much beer to drink.

6 Likes

That sounds awesome! I tried my hand at smoking a pork shoulder and all I could think about was this board when I ran outside to check the temp every 30 min.

A pebble app is a great idea btw!

1 Like

how far are we from that prototype board?

They are supposed to ship in less than 24hrs, so Iā€™m hoping to have in hand this week! All the parts are patiently awaiting the board arrival. OSHPark is nice enough to provide a little eye candy.

5 Likes

ooooooh. thats pretty.

Got it yesterday. Completed assembly -Spark Core just now. Trying to decide if I should use headers or not. Getting close to the smoke test!

4 Likes

Awexome! Itā€™s coming together :slight_smile: Iā€™m not sure if you planned for this but I have had some experience designing enclosures around these piezo elements that have a sound port. If you turn your Piezo around 180Ā° I think, youā€™ll be pointing the sound port of that guy towards the edge of your enclosure. Then you can put a couple small holes on the edge, and possibly move your piezo closer to the edge of the board. Most of the feedback will hopefully come from the web app or pebble app :wink: but it never hurts to maximize what you have for free just sitting there as well.

1 Like

@BDub thanks I didnā€™t even realize the sound port was on the edge. I thought it was the holes on the top. Didnā€™t check the datasheet out closely enough :slight_smile: Iā€™ll flip it around. [quote=ā€œBDub, post:69, topic:4776ā€]
it never hurts to maximize what you have for free just sitting there as well
[/quote]
I had one I/O pin left on the Spark Core so decided to add this. It adds some value to the project at minimal cost.

One thing Iā€™ve noticed so far that Iā€™m not sure how Iā€™ll deal with is that the power and fan ports are a bit taller than the display. It only matters for simplicity of the enclosure design, but if anyone has any ideas Iā€™d love to hear them.

Hereā€™s a pic of it working. After the smoke test the only issue I found was cold solder joints on the dual channel mosfet. After fixing that everything seems to be working correctly. The voltage regulator gets pretty hot, but I measured and itā€™s well below the seemingly high max operating temp of 125 C.

3 Likes

Yeah and you can always depopulate it if you want to save cost.

Jack the display up on a set of female headers or look for some lower profile DC jacks (ones without a plastic housing, then you just need an oversize hole in your enclosure wall). The push-buttons will be an issue as well, but they sell those with varying length posts on them you you should be able to fine some compromise for everything.

Remember when I mentioned to add a copper plane for that little guy? I guess you needed more :slight_smile: You could turn it around and put C6 above it... then have the pad extend down all of the way to J5. And stitch a bunch of vias to a large plane on the bottom as well. What temp are you seeing it get up to? Add about 30 to 50F to to that for a nice hot day with the sun beating down on your enclosure :slight_smile:

It's hovering around 80 C right now(according to my meter). Ambient temp is 31 C(I have no A/C, I'm upstairs and its hot).

The WiFi shield on the Spark Core is at 45 C just to add more perspective.

Yeah Iā€™d say youā€™ll need to add more heat sinking to that voltage regulator to stay on the safe sideā€¦ at some point itā€™s getting so hot itā€™s derating the neighboring components and putting a lot of stress on itself which can cause it to fail or themally shut-down (most regulators have this feature)ā€¦ but no power = unhappy user :smile:

Or you could put a switcher on there and make it more efficientā€¦ right now itā€™s dissipating 7V x all of your current, which is at least 200mA, which is 1.4W on that little case. Youā€™ll probably be ok with just a good PCB heat sink though.

1 Like

I have my prototype. More importantly, I have a pork shoulder I need to smoke.
This Friday is a big testā€¦

Very excited.

5 Likes

This project looks amazing. I had just purchased a Spark Core and was looking to learn how to make a similar device for my new UDSā€¦ this looks great, I hope the prototype comes out great.

What program do you use to open the hardware files? Or does someone have a PDF/JPG of the schematic they can share?

Thank you

1 Like

Hi @paulpoli, the hardware files can be opened with Eagle. If you have trouble, let me know.

2 Likes

Time to build a caseā€¦

3 Likes

Looks great! What kind of wood? is that?

1 Like