Section `.bss' will not fit in region `SRAM'

I teach an IoT class where the students do all their work within git classroom generated git repositories. We have had no issues in the past 4 years related to this, until the last 24 hours.

When compiling code this morning, Photon 2 - Device OS 5.7.0 (though we have tried 5.5.0 and 5.8.0 as well), we get the following error:

section .bss' will not fit in region SRAM'

If I move the project folder outside of a git repository, then there is no issues:

However, the exact same project file within a git repository (in this case: l14-dataxfer-CourtneyPower is the git repository):

cleans don't seem to help. Not sure where to look next.
Thanks Brian

My guess is that you are picking up unintended source files. Since you have a shared repo, make sure that each project has its own project.properties file. If it doesn't, when it's built the build system may go up to a higher directory and include its files as well, until it hits a project.properties file, which is used to mark the top level of a project.

Or, you have an incredible large static data segment in that project. This is unusual, especially on the P2, unless you have a ML model in it, in which case it's possible, but that would also fail if you removed it out of the repo.

@rickkas7 I understand what your are getting at with the shared repo. However, all projects are at the same level (nothing embedded). And, each project is created with Create Project and has its own project.properties file. I tried it with a simple HelloWorld code (blink D7) and have the same issue, so it isn't a size issue. Last night, I decided to Cloud Compiled and Cloud Flashed a project getting this error in VSCode and it compiled and flashed without issue.

We haven't changed how we are using the shared project repo's in literally 4 years. And, the problem started for all my students first thing on Friday morning. Is it possible that something changed in github that could affected the make process? Is there additional diagnostics that you can suggest?

@rickkas7 One additional thought or question. Is it possible that the issue that my students are seeing is related to the particle cli update in version 3.22.0 where it states "...use the new project structure"

Incidentally, you may recall that we also had issues with particle serial wifi in interactive mode that started back in late February (Prompts are not allowed in non-interactive mode) that you assisted with and we are using the web work around still. And, I notice there were changes to the particle serial wifi commands in version 3.21.0 released in February. Could those be related?

I don't believe it's related to that change, but engineering will be investigating this issue.