Quick Git question relating to core-firmware

What’s the easiest way/command to allow me to do a git pull to get the latest firmware from the core-firmware repo, without overwriting my own application.cpp with the tinker app each time?

@dermotos I just have a command line script that copys my app.cpp into core-firmware/src as application.cpp and then runs ‘make’.

Good Question!

I think you can have your own git repo, and set our repo as an upstream?

Something like:

git remote add upstream git@github.com:spark/core-firmware.git
git fetch origin -v; git fetch upstream -v; git merge upstream/compile-server2
#(note: I found that command here: http://gitready.com/intermediate/2009/02/12/easily-fetching-upstream-changes.html )

I posted about this here: https://community.spark.io/t/when-to-clone-or-update-local-copies-of-spark-firmware/2314/2

Thanks!
David

This is probably the best option, once I have multiple projects setup. I’ll look into it, thanks!

The Alias mentioned here is very helpful too:

Just throw this in your .gitconfig and you’re all set:

``[alias]

pu = !"git fetch origin -v; git fetch upstream -v; git merge upstream/master"``

Now git pu will grab all of the latest changes from both remotes, and then merge in the commits from upstream.

Some more questions I have for @Dave @zachary is what's the policy for submitting pull requests as far as the following items go:

• Line indentation (tab or spaces) If spaces how many?
  • Submit compiled binaries or not? If not, how do we exclude them from the pull request easily so that we can at least compile and test ourselves prior to submitting.
  • I've seen mention to running make test for changes to core-common-lib. Can you elaborate more on what you would like us to do if submitting changes for this library?
  • Is it preferred to create changes starting from the latest master or compile-server2?
  • Any advice for merging conflicts... recently because the merge conflicts were so twisted I had to just bail on my changes, delete my branch locally and remotely, fork core-firmware again, create new branch and splice in changes again. A real pain to say the least! And git mergetool is not even available to me. Which one should I get?
1 Like

Great questions. Thank you for asking. Here are my recommendations:

• Use spaces not tabs for indentation. How many spaces? Stay consistent with the surrounding code. Usually it’s 4, sometimes 2. Consistency and readability are more important than any dogmatic code style. Do not mix “just whitespace” changes in a pull request with significant code changes. Too much noise makes code review a huge pain.

• Go ahead and submit compiled binaries. I understand removing them just for the PR is a pain. We’ll always recompile in testing.

• The core-communication-lib (not common lib or any other C/C++ repo) has tests using UnitTest++. If you add a new function or fix a bug, create at least one test case either in one of the existing files, like TestSparkProtocol.cpp or in a new file named something like TestMyNewFeature.cpp or TestCrazyBugX.cpp. Ideally, you would:

• write the test case first, before any code
    • run the tests (make test in the root of the communications lib), see the compiler fail
    • then write the declarations in a header file that satisfy the compiler
    • run the tests to see the linker fail
    • write a bare function that does nothing
    • run the tests to see the linker satisfied but the actual test case fail
    • THEN write the minimal code that satisfies the test
    • rinse, repeat
  • Base changes off the latest master branch!

• Merging… is always fun. I don’t have any tips. I just do it by hand, very carefully.

1 Like

I come back here from time to time to get this upstream command I keep forgetting git remote add upstream xxx shouldn't be that hard to remember that but I'm not using it very often.. anyhoo, I thought I would look into these unit tests again and I'm getting an error

Running make test in the latest master I get the following error:

D:\Spark\core-communication-lib>make test
src/spark_protocol.cpp: In member function 'bool SparkProtocol::add_event_handler(const char*, EventHandler)':
src/spark_protocol.cpp:565:67: error: 'strnlen' was not declared in this scope
       const size_t FILTER_LEN = strnlen(event_name, MAX_FILTER_LEN);
                                                                   ^
src/spark_protocol.cpp: In member function 'bool SparkProtocol::handle_received_message()':
src/spark_protocol.cpp:1088:89: error: 'strnlen' was not declared in this scope
         const size_t filter_length = strnlen(event_handlers[i].filter, MAX_FILTER_LENGTH);
                                                                                         ^
make: *** [src/spark_protocol.o] Error 1

#include <string.h> is declared at the top of the file... argument types seem legit. Any chance this is just some weird windows make file problem I'm having?

Hmm, we did add those newlib nano stubs, so maybe it’s a GCC version thing? Have you tried upgrading to 4.8? - https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/+download

Thanks,
David

I’m have 4.8 2014q1 already, could upgrade to q2 I suppose. What happens on your Macs when you run make test ? Anything like what I’m seeing?

I still get the expected output, like this:

running unit tests...
tests/TestSparkProtocol.cpp:205: error: Failure in EventLoopRespondsToUpdateBeginWithACK: false
tests/TestSparkProtocol.cpp:211: error: Failure in EventLoopPreparesForUpdateUponUpdateBegin: false
tests/TestSparkProtocol.cpp:216: error: Failure in EventLoopRespondsToUpdateBeginWithUpdateReady: false
tests/TestSparkProtocol.cpp:221: error: Failure in EventLoopRespondsToChunkWithACK: false
tests/TestSparkProtocol.cpp:226: error: Failure in EventLoopRespondsToChunkWithChunkReceivedOKIfCRCMatches: false
tests/TestSparkProtocol.cpp:231: error: Failure in EventLoopRespondsToChunkWithChunkReceivedBADOnCRCMismatch: false
tests/TestSparkProtocol.cpp:237: error: Failure in EventLoopSavesReceivedChunk: false
tests/TestSparkProtocol.cpp:242: error: Failure in EventLoopRespondsToUpdateDoneWithACK: false
tests/TestSparkProtocol.cpp:248: error: Failure in EventLoopFinishesFirmwareUpdateOnUpdateDone: false
tests/TestSparkProtocol.cpp:253: error: Failure in EventLoopSendsChunkMissedOnTimeout: false
FAILURE: 10 out of 134 tests failed (10 failures).
Test time: 0.11 seconds.
make: *** [test] Error 10

Those 10 failures are just stubs for tests that haven’t been written yet.

Maybe try: make clean testclean sslclean test

Thanks for the feedback @zachary. I still get the same error with this new command set… shakes fist at Windows

This is the kind of thing a nice Spark VirtualBox Toolchain installation would hopefully fix… I’m not too concerned this doesn’t work at the moment, so please don’t worry much more about it. In the future I would like to do more Unit Testing and thought this would be a good example.

D:\Spark\core-communication-lib>make clean testclean sslclean test
make: [clean] Error 1 (ignored)
make -C tests/UnitTest++ clean
make[1]: Entering directory `D:/Spark/core-communication-lib/tests/UnitTest++'
make[1]: [clean] Error 1 (ignored)
make[1]: Leaving directory `D:/Spark/core-communication-lib/tests/UnitTest++'
make -C lib/tropicssl/library clean
make[1]: Entering directory `D:/Spark/core-communication-lib/lib/tropicssl/library'
rm -f *.o libtropicssl.*
make[1]: Leaving directory `D:/Spark/core-communication-lib/lib/tropicssl/library'
src/spark_protocol.cpp: In member function 'bool SparkProtocol::add_event_handler(const char*, EventHandler)':
src/spark_protocol.cpp:565:67: error: 'strnlen' was not declared in this scope
       const size_t FILTER_LEN = strnlen(event_name, MAX_FILTER_LEN);
                                                                   ^
src/spark_protocol.cpp: In member function 'bool SparkProtocol::handle_received_message()':
src/spark_protocol.cpp:1088:89: error: 'strnlen' was not declared in this scope
         const size_t filter_length = strnlen(event_handlers[i].filter, MAX_FILTER_LENGTH);
                                                                                         ^
make: *** [src/spark_protocol.o] Error 1
1 Like