Project Log: Ultrasonic Flood Level sensor using Photon & I2CXL-MaxSonar [MB7040]

The first field test was a little rushed Monday morning as the NOAA Flood forecast increased overnight to the point I wanted to track this flood event. Kind of thrown together with duct tape and zip ties.

Thought I had it working before I had to head into work (at the day job) but it wasn’t connecting to the barn WiFi, about 100m away. As I thought about the problem during the day, I realized that the barn had several tons of hay that wasn’t there for my earlier scouting experiments. After work I raised the barn access point about 2m so it could “see” over the stack of hay bails, and the Photon immediately connected.

I setup a webhook and and it has been pushing data to data.sparkfun.io for the past few days.
https://data.sparkfun.com/streams/n1EQXJJb6mUzDLV52dN5

When I get a chance I will push the latest firmware source and (sanitized) webhook JSON to GitHub.

Note that about 10 AM PST today, the water level in the creek dropped below the base of the stilling pipe and I think the mud that the pipe was sitting on was giving some funny echos. and since about 9 PM PST this evening the whole gage assembly, including the ~9’ stilling pipe, has been relocated to the hayloft [sitting on a hard floor]. The plan is to do some additional development and calibration bench testing.

2 Likes