Power_management reset while Electron Sleeping

One of my Electrons (not all) is recording intermittent resets due to power_management during a period it should be in DEEP sleep.

Any suggestions on potential causes and steps to mitigate this. The battery is between 75-82% charged when these events occur.

Thanks,

Chip

A rising edge on WKP can cause unexpected wakes from deep sleep.

@ScruffR,

Good to know. Is there an edge you can recommend?

Chip

Deep sleep will always wake on a rising edge on WKP. If you want to prevent that, you can tie WKP to GND with a strong pull-down resistor.

@ScruffR,

Bummer. I have the WKP line tied to my external watchdog. I was wondering if I should use a different argument than:

attachInterrupt(wakeUpPin, watchdogISR, RISING);   // The watchdog timer will signal us and we have to respond

This pin is not floating so, perhaps this is not my issue. In fact, in this thread, I expect the device wakes up from timer not from the WKP pin. Any other ideas what might cause this power_management reset?

Thanks,

Chip

What are the outside temps when this happens?

I integrated your watchdog into a design of my recently. Used a 1-hour kick the dog timeframe so prevent excessive wake-up sessions while sleeping.

@RWB,

All these tests have been in the house so about 68 degrees. Recently changed my watchdog interval to an hour for the same reason. Wonder if thisElectron is bad as I don’t see this on my dev unit

Also, even with soft power off, not seeing current less than 28mA while sleeping. OK but not great. You?

Chip

Not sure about the unexpected Wake issues but trying a new unit is to see if the same thing ever happens is not a bad idea.

Currently working with the Photon so no deep sleep power usage to report back. Still, 23mA is not bad if it allows cellular reconnection times to be quicker.

Is your watchdog disabled while deep-sleeping?
Otherwise the WD will still signal and hence wake the device and consequently causing that “reset” event.

@ScruffR,

No, but my plan was to preempt the WKP signal by proactively waking every hour and petting the watchdog. That way, the only time that WKP would fire would be if a reset was needed.

However, let’s say that happened. I would expect the system to report a pin reset, I check this in setup:

if (System.resetReason() == RESET_REASON_PIN_RESET)  // Check to see if we are starting from a pin reset

Instead, the reset reason is power_management - that is the confusing part.

Chip

1 Like

Seeing more of your code and some wirig schematics might help spotting the reason.

1 Like

@ScruffR,

Absolutely. You have given me so many good suggestions in the past. I look forward to any suggestions you might have here.

Schematics:

Page 1 - Electron and support chips

Page 2 - Power Control for switching both DC-IN and LiPo and supporting the “hard reset” feature

Page 3- Circuit Protection and the 5V boost converter for 5V i2c

blue

I think the main connections you would want to see are on page 1.

Also, here is my code, always open to suggestions on how to improve it.

/*
* Project Cellular-Solar-PIR
* Description: Cellular Connected Data Logger for Solar installations
* Author: Chip McClelland
* Date:8 October 2017
*/

// On the solar installation I am not using the hardware watchdog

// Easy place to change global numbers
//These defines let me change the memory map and configuration without hunting through the whole program
#define VERSIONNUMBER 7             // Increment this number each time the memory map is changed
#define WORDSIZE 8                  // For the Word size
#define PAGESIZE 4096               // Memory size in bytes / word size - 256kb FRAM
// First Word - 8 bytes for setting global values
#define DAILYOFFSET 2               // First word of daily counts
#define HOURLYOFFSET 30             // First word of hourly counts (remember we start counts at 1)
#define DAILYCOUNTNUMBER 28         // used in modulo calculations - sets the # of days stored
#define HOURLYCOUNTNUMBER 4064      // used in modulo calculations - sets the # of hours stored - 256k (4096-14-2)
#define VERSIONADDR 0x0             // Memory Locations By Name not Number
#define SENSITIVITYADDR 0x1         // For the 1st Word locations
#define DEBOUNCEADDR 0x2            // One uint8_t for debounce (stored in cSec mult by 10 for mSec)
#define RESETCOUNT 0x3              // This is where we keep track of how often the Electron was reset
#define DAILYPOINTERADDR 0x4        // One uint8_t for daily pointer
#define HOURLYPOINTERADDR 0x5       // Two bytes for hourly pointer
#define CONTROLREGISTER 0x7         // This is the control register for storing the current state - future use
//Second Word - 8 bytes for storing current counts
#define CURRENTHOURLYCOUNTADDR 0x8  // Current Hourly Count - 16 bits
#define CURRENTDAILYCOUNTADDR 0xA   // Current Daily Count - 16 bits
#define CURRENTCOUNTSTIME 0xC       // Time of last count - 32 bits
//These are the hourly and daily offsets that make up the respective words
#define DAILYDATEOFFSET 1           //Offsets for the value in the daily words
#define DAILYCOUNTOFFSET 2          // Count is a 16-bt value
#define DAILYBATTOFFSET 4           // Where the battery charge is stored
#define HOURLYCOUNTOFFSET 4         // Offsets for the values in the hourly words
#define HOURLYBATTOFFSET 6          // Where the hourly battery charge is stored
// Finally, here are the variables I want to change often and pull them all together here
#define SOFTWARERELEASENUMBER "0.60"
#define PARKCLOSES 20
#define PARKOPENS 7

// Included Libraries
#include "Adafruit_FRAM_I2C.h"                           // Library for FRAM functions
#include "FRAM-Library-Extensions.h"                     // Extends the FRAM Library
#include "electrondoc.h"                                 // Documents pinout

// Prototypes and System Mode calls
SYSTEM_MODE(SEMI_AUTOMATIC);    // This will enable user code to start executing automatically.
SYSTEM_THREAD(ENABLED);         // Means my code will not be held up by Particle processes.
FuelGauge batteryMonitor;       // Prototype for the fuel gauge (included in Particle core library)
PMIC power;                      //Initalize the PMIC class so you can call the Power Management functions below.

// State Maching Variables
enum State { INITIALIZATION_STATE, ERROR_STATE, IDLE_STATE, SLEEPING_STATE, NAPPING_STATE, REPORTING_STATE, RESP_WAIT_STATE };
State state = INITIALIZATION_STATE;

// Pin Constants
const int intPin = D3;                      // Acclerometer interrupt pin
const int blueLED = D7;                     // This LED is on the Electron itself
const int userSwitch = D5;                  // User switch with a pull-up resistor
const int tmp36Pin = A0;                    // Simple Analog temperature sensor
const int tmp36Shutdwn = B5;                // Can turn off the TMP-36 to save energy
const int donePin = D6;                     // Pin the Electron uses to "pet" the watchdog
const int wakeUpPin = A7;                   // This is the Particle Electron WKP pin
const int hardResetPin = D4;                // Power Cycles the Electron and the Carrier Board

// Timing Variables
unsigned long publishTimeStamp = 0;         // Keep track of when we publish a webhook
unsigned long webhookWaitTime = 45000;      // How long will we let a webhook go before we give up
unsigned long resetWaitTimeStamp = 0;       // Starts the reset wait clock
unsigned long resetWaitTime = 30000;        // Will wait this lonk before resetting.
unsigned long sleepDelay = 90000;           // Longer delay before sleep when booting up or on the hour - gives time to flash
unsigned long timeTillSleep = 0;            // This will either be short or long depending on nap or sleep
unsigned long napDelay = 3000;              // Normal amount of time after event before taking a nap
unsigned long lastEvent = 0;                // Keeps track of the last time there was an event
bool waiting = false;                       // Keeps track of things that are in flight - enables non-blocking code
bool readyForBed = false;                   // Keeps track of the things that you do once before sleep

// Program Variables
int temperatureF;                    // Global variable so we can monitor via cloud variable
int resetCount;                      // Counts the number of times the Electron has had a pin reset
bool ledState = LOW;                        // variable used to store the last LED status, to toggle the light
const char* releaseNumber = SOFTWARERELEASENUMBER;  // Displays the release on the menu

// FRAM and Unix time variables
time_t t;
byte lastHour = 0;                   // For recording the startup values
byte lastDate = 0;                   // These values make sure we record events if time has lapsed
int hourlyPersonCount = 0;           // hourly counter
int hourlyPersonCountSent = 0;       // Person count in flight to Ubidots
int dailyPersonCount = 0;            //  daily counter
int dailyPersonCountSent = 0;        // Daily person count in flight to Ubidots
bool dataInFlight = false;           // Tracks if we have sent data but not yet cleared it from counts until we get confirmation
byte currentHourlyPeriod;            // This is where we will know if the period changed
byte currentDailyPeriod;             // We will keep daily counts as well as period counts

// PIR Sensor variables
volatile bool sensorDetect = false;         // This is the flag that an interrupt is triggered

// Battery monitor
int stateOfCharge = 0;                      // stores battery charge level value

//Menu and Program Variables
uint32_t lastBump = 0;         // set the time of an event
bool inTest = false;             // Are we in a test or not
retained char Signal[17];                            // Used to communicate Wireless RSSI and Description
const char* levels[6] = {"Poor", "Low", "Medium", "Good", "Very Good", "Great"};

void setup()
{
  pinMode(intPin,INPUT);
  pinMode(wakeUpPin,INPUT);                   // This pin is active HIGH
  pinMode(blueLED, OUTPUT);                   // declare the Blue LED Pin as an output
  pinMode(tmp36Shutdwn,OUTPUT);               // Supports shutting down the TMP-36 to save juice
  digitalWrite(tmp36Shutdwn, HIGH);           // Turns on the temp sensor
  pinMode(donePin,OUTPUT);                    // Allows us to pet the watchdog
  pinMode(hardResetPin,OUTPUT);               // For a hard reset - HIGH

if(!connectToParticle()) Particle.publish("State","Initalizing");  // Will continue - even if not connected.

power.begin();
  power.disableWatchdog();
  power.disableDPDM();
  power.setInputVoltageLimit(4840);     //Set the lowest input voltage to 4.84 volts. This keeps my 5v solar panel from operating below 4.84 volts (defauly 4360)
  power.setInputCurrentLimit(900);     // default is 900mA
  power.setChargeCurrent(0,0,0,0,0,0); // default is 512mA
  power.setChargeVoltage(4112);        // default is 4.112V termination voltage
  power.enableDPDM();

stateOfCharge = int(batteryMonitor.getSoC()); // Percentage of full charge

attachInterrupt(wakeUpPin, watchdogISR, RISING);   // The watchdog timer will signal us and we have to respond
  attachInterrupt(intPin,sensorISR,RISING);   // Will know when the PIR sensor is triggered

char responseTopic[125];
  String deviceID = System.deviceID();
  deviceID.toCharArray(responseTopic,125);
  Particle.subscribe(responseTopic, UbidotsHandler, MY_DEVICES);      // Subscribe to the integration response event

Particle.variable("HourlyCount", hourlyPersonCount);
  Particle.variable("DailyCount", dailyPersonCount);
  Particle.variable("Signal", Signal);
  Particle.variable("ResetCount", resetCount);
  Particle.variable("Temperature",temperatureF);
  Particle.variable("Release",releaseNumber);
  Particle.variable("stateOfChg", stateOfCharge);

Particle.function("startStop", startStop);
  Particle.function("resetFRAM", resetFRAM);
  Particle.function("resetCounts",resetCounts);
  Particle.function("Reset",resetNow);
  Particle.function("HardReset",hardResetNow);
  Particle.function("SleepInFive",sleepInFive);
  Particle.function("SendNow",sendNow);

if (!fram.begin()) {                // you can stick the new i2c addr in here, e.g. begin(0x51);
    Particle.publish("Startup","No FRAM");
    state = ERROR_STATE;
  }

if (FRAMread8(VERSIONADDR) != VERSIONNUMBER) {  // Check to see if the memory map in the sketch matches the data on the chip
    Particle.publish("Startup","FRAM mismatch - erasing");
    ResetFRAM();                        // Reset the FRAM to correct the issue
    if (FRAMread8(VERSIONADDR) != VERSIONNUMBER) state = ERROR_STATE;  // Resetting did not fix the issue
  }

resetCount = FRAMread8(RESETCOUNT);         // Retrive system recount data from FRAMwrite8
  if (System.resetReason() == RESET_REASON_PIN_RESET)  // Check to see if we are starting from a pin reset
  {
    resetCount++;
    FRAMwrite8(RESETCOUNT,static_cast<uint8_t>(resetCount));          // If so, store incremented number - watchdog must have done This
  }

Time.zone(-5);                              // Set time zone to Eastern USA daylight saving time
  takeMeasurements();
  StartStopTest(1);                           // Default action is for the test to be running
  timeTillSleep = sleepDelay;                 // Set initial delay for 60 seconds

if (stateOfCharge <= 20)
  {
    state = SLEEPING_STATE;   // Low battery level will cause an ERROR and reset which brings us here
    Particle.publish("State","Critical Battery - Sleeping");
    delay(2000);
  }
  else if (state != ERROR_STATE)                      // IDLE unless error from above code
  {
    state = IDLE_STATE;                                // Idle and look for events to change the state
    Particle.publish("State","Idle");
  }
}

void loop()
{
  switch(state) {
  case IDLE_STATE:
    if(hourlyPersonCountSent) {   // Cleared here as there could be counts coming in while "in Flight"
      hourlyPersonCount -= hourlyPersonCountSent;    // Confirmed that count was recevied - clearing
      FRAMwrite16(CURRENTHOURLYCOUNTADDR, static_cast<uint16_t>(hourlyPersonCount));  // Load Hourly Count to memory
      hourlyPersonCountSent = 0;
    }
    if (sensorDetect) recordCount();                                                  // The ISR had raised the sensor flag
    if (millis() >= (lastEvent + timeTillSleep)) state = NAPPING_STATE;               // Too long since last sensor flag - time to nap
    if (Time.hour() >= PARKCLOSES || Time.hour() < PARKOPENS) state = SLEEPING_STATE;  // The park is closed, time to sleep
    if (Time.hour() != currentHourlyPeriod && !readyForBed) state = REPORTING_STATE;   // We want to report on the hour but not after bedtime
    break;

case SLEEPING_STATE: {                                        // This state is triggered once the park closes and runs until it opens
    if (!readyForBed)                                           // Only do these things once - at bedtime
    {
      if (Particle.connected()) {
        disconnectFromParticle();                               // If connected, we need to disconned and power down the modem
      }
      detachInterrupt(intPin);                                  // Done sensing for the day
      dailyPersonCount = 0;                                     // All the counts have been reported so time to zero everything
      FRAMwrite16(CURRENTDAILYCOUNTADDR, 0);                    // Reset the counts in FRAM as well
      resetCount = 0;
      FRAMwrite8(RESETCOUNT,resetCount);
      hourlyPersonCount = 0;
      FRAMwrite16(CURRENTHOURLYCOUNTADDR, 0);
      ledState = false;
      digitalWrite(blueLED,LOW);                                // Turn off the LED
      digitalWrite(tmp36Shutdwn, LOW);                          // Turns off the temp sensor
      digitalWrite(donePin,HIGH);
      digitalWrite(donePin,LOW);                                // Pet the watchdog
      readyForBed = true;                                       // Set the flag for the night
    }
    int secondsToHour = (60*(60 - Time.minute()));              // Time till the top of the hour
    System.sleep(SLEEP_MODE_DEEP,secondsToHour);        // Very deep sleep till the next hour (cellular, uC and Fuel Gauge off)
    digitalWrite(donePin,LOW);                                  // Pet the watchdog
    if (Time.hour() < PARKCLOSES && Time.hour() >= PARKOPENS)   // Time to wake up and go to work
    {
      state = IDLE_STATE;                                       // Go to IDLE state for more instructions once we awake
      lastEvent = millis();                                     // Reset millis so we don't wake and then nap again
      attachInterrupt(intPin,sensorISR,RISING);                 // Sensor interrupt from low to high
      currentDailyPeriod = Time.day();                          // Waking from a night's sleep - it is a new day
      digitalWrite(tmp36Shutdwn,HIGH);                          // Turn on the temp sensor
      readyForBed = false;
    }
    } break;

case NAPPING_STATE: {
    if (Particle.connected())
    {
      disconnectFromParticle();                              // If connected, we need to disconned and power down the modem
      timeTillSleep = napDelay;                              // Set the time we will wait before napping again
    }
    ledState = false;                                        // Turn out the light
    digitalWrite(blueLED,LOW);                               // Turn off the LED
    sensorDetect = true;                                     // Woke up so there must have been an event
    lastEvent = millis();                                    // Reset millis so we don't wake and then nap again
    int secondsToHour = (60*(60 - Time.minute()));           // Time till the top of the hour
    System.sleep(intPin,RISING,secondsToHour);               // Sensor will wake us with an interrupt
    state = IDLE_STATE;                                      // Back to the IDLE_STATE after a nap
    } break;

case REPORTING_STATE: {
    timeTillSleep = sleepDelay;                              // Sets the sleep delay to give time to flash if needed
    if (!connectToParticle()) {
      state = ERROR_STATE;
      break;
    }
    takeMeasurements();
    LogHourlyEvent();
    sendEvent();
    publishTimeStamp = millis();
    digitalWrite(donePin,LOW);                          // Pet the watchdog once an hour
    Particle.publish("State","Waiting for Response");
    state = RESP_WAIT_STATE;                            // Wait for Response
    } break;

case RESP_WAIT_STATE:
    if (!dataInFlight)                                  // Response received
    {
      if (stateOfCharge <= 20) state = ERROR_STATE;     // Very low battery, time to reset then sleep
      else state = IDLE_STATE;                          // Battery OK, proceed
      Particle.publish("State","Idle");
    }
    else if (millis() >= (publishTimeStamp + webhookWaitTime)) state = ERROR_STATE;  // Response timed out
    break;

case ERROR_STATE:                                          // To be enhanced - where we deal with errors
    if (!waiting)                                            // Will use this flag to wiat 30 seconds before reset
    {
      waiting = true;
      resetWaitTimeStamp = millis();
      Particle.publish("State","Error");
    }
    if (millis() >= (resetWaitTimeStamp + resetWaitTime))
    {
      if (resetCount <= 3)  System.reset();                 // Today, only way out is reset
      else {
        FRAMwrite8(RESETCOUNT,0);                           // Time for a hard reset
        digitalWrite(hardResetPin,HIGH);                    // Zero the count so only every three
      }
    }
    break;
  }
}

void recordCount()                                          // Handles counting when the sensor triggers
{
  sensorDetect = false;                                     // Reset the flag
  if (digitalRead(intPin)) {
    Particle.publish("State","Counting");
    if (Time.minute() > 2) timeTillSleep = napDelay;        // reset the time we will wait before napping again
    lastEvent = millis();                                   // Important to keep from napping too soon
    t = Time.now();
    hourlyPersonCount++;                    // Increment the PersonCount
    FRAMwrite16(CURRENTHOURLYCOUNTADDR, static_cast<uint16_t>(hourlyPersonCount));  // Load Hourly Count to memory
    dailyPersonCount++;                    // Increment the PersonCount
    FRAMwrite16(CURRENTDAILYCOUNTADDR, static_cast<uint16_t>(dailyPersonCount));   // Load Daily Count to memory
    FRAMwrite32(CURRENTCOUNTSTIME, t);   // Write to FRAM - this is so we know when the last counts were saved
    ledState = !ledState;              // toggle the status of the LEDPIN:
    digitalWrite(blueLED, ledState);    // update the LED pin itself
  }
}

void StartStopTest(boolean startTest)  // Since the test can be started from the serial menu or the Simblee - created a function
{
 if (startTest) {
     inTest = true;
     currentHourlyPeriod = Time.hour();   // Sets the hour period for when the count starts (see #defines)
     currentDailyPeriod = Time.day();     // And the day  (see #defines)
     // Deterimine when the last counts were taken check when starting test to determine if we reload values or start counts over
     time_t unixTime = FRAMread32(CURRENTCOUNTSTIME);
     lastHour = Time.hour(unixTime);
     lastDate = Time.day(unixTime);
     dailyPersonCount = FRAMread16(CURRENTDAILYCOUNTADDR);  // Load Daily Count from memory
     hourlyPersonCount = FRAMread16(CURRENTHOURLYCOUNTADDR);  // Load Hourly Count from memory
     if (currentHourlyPeriod != lastHour) LogHourlyEvent();
 }
 else {
     inTest = false;
     t = Time.now();
     FRAMwrite16(CURRENTDAILYCOUNTADDR, static_cast<uint16_t>(dailyPersonCount));   // Load Daily Count to memory
     FRAMwrite32(CURRENTCOUNTSTIME, t);   // Write to FRAM - this is so we know when the last counts were saved
     hourlyPersonCount = 0;        // Reset Person Count
     dailyPersonCount = 0;         // Reset Person Count
 }
}

void LogHourlyEvent() // Log Hourly Event()
{
  time_t LogTime = FRAMread32(CURRENTCOUNTSTIME);     // This is the last event recorded - this sets the hourly period
  unsigned int pointer = (HOURLYOFFSET + FRAMread16(HOURLYPOINTERADDR))*WORDSIZE;  // get the pointer from memory and add the offset
  LogTime -= (60*Time.minute(LogTime) + Time.second(LogTime)); // So, we need to subtract the minutes and seconds needed to take to the top of the hour
  FRAMwrite32(pointer, LogTime);   // Write to FRAM - this is the end of the period
  FRAMwrite16(pointer+HOURLYCOUNTOFFSET,static_cast<uint16_t>(hourlyPersonCount));
  FRAMwrite8(pointer+HOURLYBATTOFFSET,stateOfCharge);
  unsigned int newHourlyPointerAddr = (FRAMread16(HOURLYPOINTERADDR)+1) % HOURLYCOUNTNUMBER;  // This is where we "wrap" the count to stay in our memory space
  FRAMwrite16(HOURLYPOINTERADDR,newHourlyPointerAddr);
}

void sendEvent()
{
  char data[256];                                         // Store the date in this character array - not global
  snprintf(data, sizeof(data), "{\"hourly\":%i, \"daily\":%i,\"battery\":%i, \"temp\":%i, \"resets\":%i}",hourlyPersonCount, dailyPersonCount, stateOfCharge, temperatureF,resetCount);
  Particle.publish("Ubidots-Hook", data, PRIVATE);
  hourlyPersonCountSent = hourlyPersonCount; // This is the number that was sent to Ubidots - will be subtracted once we get confirmation
  currentHourlyPeriod = Time.hour();  // Change the time period
  dataInFlight = true; // set the data inflight flag
}

void UbidotsHandler(const char *event, const char *data)  // Looks at the response from Ubidots - Will reset Photon if no successful response
{
  // Response Template: "{{hourly.0.status_code}}"
  if (!data) {                                            // First check to see if there is any data
    Particle.publish("Ubidots Hook", "No Data");
    return;
  }
  int responseCode = atoi(data);                          // Response is only a single number thanks to Template
  if ((responseCode == 200) || (responseCode == 201))
  {
    Particle.publish("State","Response Received");
    dataInFlight = false;                                 // Data has been received
  }
  else Particle.publish("Ubidots Hook", data);             // Publish the response code
}

void getSignalStrength()
{
    CellularSignal sig = Cellular.RSSI();  // Prototype for Cellular Signal Montoring
    int rssi = sig.rssi;
    int strength = map(rssi, -131, -51, 0, 5);
    snprintf(Signal,17, "%s: %d", levels[strength], rssi);
}

int startStop(String command)   // Will reset the local counts
{
  if (command == "1" && !inTest)
  {
    StartStopTest(1);
    return 1;
  }
  else if (command == "0" && inTest)
  {
    StartStopTest(0);
    return 1;
  }
  else return 0;
}

int resetFRAM(String command)   // Will reset the local counts
{
  if (command == "1")
  {
    ResetFRAM();
    return 1;
  }
  else return 0;
}

int resetCounts(String command)   // Resets the current hourly and daily counts
{
  if (command == "1")
  {
    FRAMwrite16(CURRENTDAILYCOUNTADDR, 0);   // Reset Daily Count in memory
    FRAMwrite16(CURRENTHOURLYCOUNTADDR, 0);  // Reset Hourly Count in memory
    FRAMwrite8(RESETCOUNT,0);          // If so, store incremented number - watchdog must have done This
    resetCount = 0;
    hourlyPersonCount = 0;                    // Reset count variables
    dailyPersonCount = 0;
    hourlyPersonCountSent = 0;                // In the off-chance there is data in flight
    dailyPersonCountSent = 0;

dataInFlight = false;
    return 1;
  }
  else return 0;
}

int resetNow(String command)   // Will reset the Electron
{
  if (command == "1")
  {
    System.reset();
    return 1;
  }
  else return 0;
}

int hardResetNow(String command)   // Will perform a hard reset on the Electron
{
  if (command == "1")
  {
    digitalWrite(hardResetPin,HIGH);
    return 1;
  }
  else return 0;
}

int sleepInFive(String command)   // Will perform a hard reset on the Electron
{
  if (command == "1")
  {
    timeTillSleep = 300000;       // Set this equal to 5 minutes.  Will reset in the program once it goes to NAPPING_STATE
    return 1;
  }
  else return 0;
}

int sendNow(String command) // Function to force sending data in current hour
{
  if (command == "1")
  {
    state = REPORTING_STATE;
    return 1;
  }
  else return 0;
}

int getTemperature()
{
  int reading = analogRead(tmp36Pin);   //getting the voltage reading from the temperature sensor
  float voltage = reading * 3.3;        // converting that reading to voltage, for 3.3v arduino use 3.3
  voltage /= 4096.0;                    // Electron is different than the Arduino where there are only 1024 steps
  int temperatureC = int(((voltage - 0.5) * 100));  //converting from 10 mv per degree with 500 mV offset to degrees ((voltage - 500mV) times 100) - 5 degree calibration
  temperatureF = int((temperatureC * 9.0 / 5.0) + 32.0);  // now convert to Fahrenheit
  return temperatureF;
}

void sensorISR()
{
  sensorDetect = true;                                      // sets the sensor flag for the main loop
}

void watchdogISR()
{
  digitalWrite(donePin, HIGH);                              // Pet the watchdog
  digitalWrite(donePin, LOW);
}

bool connectToParticle()
{
  if (!Cellular.ready())
  {
    Cellular.on();                                           // turn on the Modem
    Cellular.connect();                                      // Connect to the cellular network
    if(!waitFor(Cellular.ready,90000)) return false;         // Connect to cellular - give it 90 seconds
  }
  Particle.connect();                                      // Connect to Particle
  if(!waitFor(Particle.connected,30000)) return false;     // Connect to Particle - give it 30 seconds
  return true;
}

bool disconnectFromParticle()
{
  Particle.disconnect();                                   // Disconnect from Particle in prep for sleep
  waitFor(notConnected,10000);
  Cellular.disconnect();                                   // Disconnect from the cellular network
  delay(3000);
  Cellular.off();                                           // Turn off the cellular modem
  return true;
}

bool notConnected() {
  return !Particle.connected();                             // This is a requirement to use waitFor
}

void takeMeasurements() {
  getSignalStrength();                                      // Test signal strength at startup
  getTemperature();                                         // Get Temperature at startup as well
  stateOfCharge = int(batteryMonitor.getSoC());             // Percentage of full charge
}

Thanks,

Chip

I dug through the code and found this:

else if (PWR_GetFlagStatus(PWR_FLAG_SB) != RESET) // Check if MCU was in standby mode
        {
            last_reset_info.reason = RESET_REASON_POWER_MANAGEMENT; // Reset generated when exiting standby mode (nRST_STDBY: 1)

So RESET_REASON_POWER_MANAGEMENT is the reason you get when the processor is reset by coming out of STANDBY (deep sleep) mode.

2 Likes

@peekay123,

OK, that explains it then. If the watchdog resets the Electron with the reset pin while the it is in DEEP sleep, the reason will be power_management.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Chip

BTW, still loving the FSM approach!

4 Likes