Photons dying with over-the-air updates

i would be interested in what the overcharging and over current protection provides for. for instance if all the lights turn on and with the demand of the photon there begins a 1.4 amp current draw on the unit is that considered over current? i guess if yes there is some kind of throttling [or it just turns off]and with that probably some problematic behavior by the photon.

@kryder, When you say “overcharging” are you assuming a battery? It has no battery.

At this point, I don’t think it’s hardware. The power supplies on the affected devices are 1.5A power supplies.

It’s hard to tell if they are flashing or not. Console is not useful in kind of showing what’s going on but the IDE is more useful.

According to the IDE, the zombied on-line devices are going through this cycle: “flash / status=started” then “status = offline” and this repeats for a while then it goes to safe mode … waits … and it starts the flash/offline cycle again. This was after the device is flashed with Tinker (to start with a clean slate) and then the console presumably tried to download application firmware.

Tahl

Tahl, what i was trying to point out is that same device on amazon that you had a link to states in the description that it has “overcharging/over current protection”. my question i was raising was, exactly what current level does that device consider over current.? if it is a max of 1.5 amp then probably anything over that, however it could also try limiting current before 1.5 amp as part of the protection scheme built into the unit. and considering what you are trying to power all at the same time it is not out of the question that the total current reaches 1.5amp. when that happens the protection scheme might mess with the current flow which might adversely affect your photon.