Passing symbol definitions at compile-time

As per title: Is it possible to pass a compile-time symbol definition as a flag?

Specifically, I would like to #define a DEBUG symbol to conditionally compile some Serial statements, as well as slightly modify the behavior of the code on startup. If this is not possible, I think I will have to manually comment/uncomment a #define DEBUG statement in every file that I want to test (usually all of them :confused: ), and this is obviously not desirable.

1 Like

Yes,

Google C preprocessor directives

#define DEBUG_PRINT

#ifdef DEBUG_PRINT

#define DEBUG_LN(x) Serial.println(x)

#else

#define DEBUG_LN(x)

#endif

And in your code:

DEBUG_LN("something");

Sorry, I wasnā€™t clear in my first post. Iā€™m using the offline Particle Dev IDE, and Iā€™m compiling semi-offline with the CLI (on Windows). My current compile command is

particle compile photon path/to/project

And Iā€™d like to be able to #define DEBUG from the command line. something like gccā€™s -D flag.

1 Like

I have this question too.

Same here. Iā€™d like to test locally on a device that is different from production, or even on another device thatā€™s remote but not prod, and Iā€™d like to easily generate different firmware versions on demand to test these. Editing the defines in the code for each separate compilation is pretty boring, and Iā€™d like to be able to have a simple script call particle compile with specific defines in the command lineā€¦

Thereā€™s always the option to generate an include file on the fly, but thatā€™s a bit counterproductiveā€¦

I am interested in this ability, as well. I can think of several valid use cases.

Safe to assume, years later, there is still no solution?

If you build locally then you can export EXTRA_CFLAGS. The workbench works okay for installing the toolchains and then you can build from any terminal with make. You can probably set that environment in the workbench too, but I donā€™t use it.

For example:

APPDIR = $(shell dirname $(realpath $(lastword $(MAKEFILE_LIST))))
export APPDIR

FIRMWARE_PATH ?= $(HOME)/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/1.5.2/

EXTRA_CFLAGS= -Wall
export EXTRA_CFLAGS

SRC_FILES := $(wildcard $(APPDIR)/src/*.cpp)

all: target/NAME.bin

target/NAME.bin: $(SRC_FILES)
        $(MAKE) -C $(FIRMWARE_PATH)/modules/xenon/user-part all
1 Like

Thanks for your reply, @kenmacd.
I had been pursuing the use of make, partly due to your comments on other threads.:+1:

1 Like

Ended up looking into this, because having compile-time preprocessor definitions can be very nice.

@cmcinroy it looks like this has been included in the particle workbench, under File>Preferences>Settings>Extensions>Particle>Compile Defines

This apparently modifies a settings.json file, where adding data to the particle.compileDefines array allows preprocessor definitions.
e.g.
ā€œparticle.compileDefinesā€:[ ā€œPRD_ID=94ā€ ]

would act the same as

#define PRD_ID 94

A word of caution: from just casual observation, these build settings donā€™t appear to be stored with the project itself, which means that they wouldnā€™t be included in any commit/check-in.

Edit: the location depends on if you are editing the User or Workspace settings; User is not stored with the project, Workspace looks to be stored under .vscode.

1 Like

Thatā€™s useful info. Thank you!

Hmm. This looks like it has broken or changed, as now the same input is being quoted in the build script (previously PRD_ID=94 is now being entered as PRD_ID=ā€˜94ā€™), which breaks it. This is not cool if true.