I have been using the Particle Product over the air updates for over a month and I have to say I love it. However in this latest update:
- deviceOS from 1.3.1 to 1.4.2
- firmware from v6 to v9
One in five Electrons has a catastrophic failure:
- the deviceOS updates to 1.4.2
- the firmware updates to v9 again and again and again in rapid succession
Here is what I see on the console when a device goes into this mode:
And unfortunately, the data consumption goes through the roof. In fact, on a 3Mb plan, this device went to 11.63 Mb before Particle could pause the SIM.
I had this happen to one other device, placing it into “Dev” mode stops the endless updates but, to fix the device, I had to physically go to the device and perform the following steps:
- Run Device doctor - no obvious issues
- Run Particle update
- Reflash the device with the v9 firmware using DFU
Obviously, I cannot do this for my more remote devices.
All this raises some questions:
- Why did Particle let the dive go over its monthly limit by 3x before pausing the SIM?
- Why does this update work for 80% of the devices and fail spectacularly on the 20%
- Can I remotely fix this issue and bring these devices back into the normal population?
- What tests can I do to avoid this in the future?
I will also open a help desk ticket but, any advice would be appreciated.