Newbie: How to interface 3.5" TFT Display to Particle Electron?

I am planning to interface a 3.5-inch TFT Display (datasheet: https://focuslcds.com/product/3-5-tft-display-capacitive-tp-e35rg63224lw2m350-c) to a Particle Electron. It uses a HX8238-D LCD Controller and FT6236 CTP Controller. Note that this display has a capacitive touch feature.

The problem is: I don’t know where to start.

Thanks and I am looking forward to your help.

Hi @engineer-labs

This is a forum for Particle device like the Photon and Electron–you might have better luck on a forum for PIC devices.

2 Likes

HI @engineer-labs

I see you edited your original post to say “Particle Electron” instead of PIC microcontroller. I have reopened the topic.

I am sorry I don’t have any advice for you but maybe someone here will.

Are you familiar with I2C? If you aren’t you really are going to want to start by learning on something simpler, ideally. The details are all in the datasheets under the I2C section. All information in that interface appears to be communicated via I2C (which is a serial communication protocol). In FT6236.pdf some sample code appears in section 4.2, with additional information about the contents about specific control registers a little above. If you look at that and can’t understand what is going on I really would recommend trying I2C on a simpler device first as practice to get more comfortable.

Looks like the display portion (not the capacitive touch) is SPI controlled, as detailed in section 7 of HX8238-D.pdf

I would say similar things apply as with I2C. Try finding a smaller project if you aren’t familiar with the protocol. For SPI I might recommend connecting a microSD card to the Electron via SPI as a project to get you started. It’s moderately challenging to start out, but it’s still small in comparison to the display, I think.