NEW Adafruit_mfGFX multifont library

In some programming languages, double- and single-quotes can both be used for multi-character strings. Often, single-quoted strings are literal, while double-quoted strings allow for interpolation of variables within the string (e.g., in Perl and PHP, among others).

But in the C/C++ world, single-quotes are for specifying one-byte characters.

I’m using a Neopixel Matrix with 6 rows, but unfortunately the dot factory doesn’t allow to use a font smaller than 8 pixels. Does anybody know how to solve this problem or how to generate a font with 6 pixels?

Thank you very much,
Trekky

@Trekky, you may have to do it manually as in create the pixel array values by hand for the range of characters you want to display.

@peekay123, thank you for the fast reply. Do you know some neccessary informations regarding how to create the pixel arrays manually and what the individual hex codes represent?

@Trekky @peekay123

Here is the App I have been using to create Bitmap images I created in Corel Draw into Hex Data to paste into my sketch to get it to display on the LCD screens.

It’s called LCD Assistant, its old but it works just fine: http://en.radzio.dxp.pl/bitmap_converter/

Also on some images I create I had to play with the dimensions alittle if the output looked funky on the LCD screen. I’m not sure what causes the corrupted image but I was always able to get if fixed by tweaking the bitmap size a little.

Let us know if it works :smile:

@RWB @peekay123 I was able to modify TheDotFactory to extract Arial with 6pt. Furthermore I adjusted the letters which were not readable.

The resulting font ARIALNEW_6 is available here: https://github.com/Trekky12/Adafruit_mfGFX_Library

Additional there is the default Arial with 6pt, Times New Roman with 6pt, Victors Pixel Font and 6px

@Trekky, you rock! Thanks!

@Trekky

Sweet, I’ve literally tested hundreds of fonts on the 2.7 inch Sharp Memory LCD’s looking for the best looking fonts so I know it takes a lot of work to get a font that looks great on the screen.

Upload some pics of your favorite fonts when your done if you have the time to do it.

Will you be sharing this under the adafruit_ST7735 library on the web IDE?

Thanks

@armor, @Trekky may not be the author of that library. He could do a pull-request on the github repo but only the original author can make the changes. I can, however, make changes to the mfGFX IDE library to add the font to the font list. :smile:

That would be great - if you have the spare time! :smiley:

@armor I did a pull request for the new 6pt Arial font https://github.com/menan/Adafruit_ST7735/pull/1

Is it expected to work with teh Adafruit 3.5" TFT display? If so that would be graet because I want to use a realy big font toe make the display readable from a distand. Scaled fonts wil do this but it will look horrable. That is why i’m looking for a selution to use a nice and readable font.

In my case I cant get mij Arduino prog compiled because of an error message:

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 7), Board:“Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

In file included from Preamp.ino:1:0:
C:\Users\jan\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_mfGFX_Library/Adafruit_mfGFX.h:4:25: fatal error: application.h: No such file or directory
#include “application.h”
^
compilation terminated.
Fout bij compileren.

@dalojan, you need to understand that this forum is for Particle devices, not Arduino :wink: The library you are using is not written for Arduino. However, I did create an Arduino-specific version here:

:smile:

I downloaded the Arduino_Adafruit_mfGFX lib and after some tweaking the Arduino prog did compile with this new lib. Now I have to find out how to use the new and nice fonts.
Many thanks for your help

What are these displays?

@frlobo I think your talking about the Sharp Memory Displays, if so here is a good overview.

@RWB, I think @frlobo is asking about the 3.5"displays mentioned by @dalojan.

@peekay123 He was asking about the 1.3 inch sharp memory displays I posted a picture of above. At least that’s the post he replied to.

I didn’t quote! Sorry. yes those where the displays… Thanks!