Modbus support, hardware + libs, production solution

I have read all the modbus threads and still don’t really see a solid option i could use in production. Is there any solid device that provides full library’s, that i can plug into the photon.

I have looked at the products in the threads (many threads proves this is a desired feature from the community) and they are all bits and pieces, random library’s that may or may not work etc, one was (thankfully) ported to particle.

Any recommendations on where I can get this hardware and librarys built/coded. As a side note, particle please make a simple solution for this. rs485 has been around for tens of years, i hear there maybe a particle industrial version being made, if rs485 connectors and library’s aren’t in it, revisit the design lol :smile:

TLDR: I have read all the modbus threads and still don’t really see a solid option i could use in production. Is there any solid device that provides full library’s, that i can plug into the photon. If not recommend where i can get this made/coded

Due to the electrical specifics of RS485 I doubt that'll ever be a native interface for these devices - I'd rather see this as a seperate shield.

fair enough, I’d be down for a shield as well, anything that solid enough to put into production units that has library’s.

I don’t know if this might be something for a Particle shield (e.g. a revision of any of the existing ones - @mohit?) but you could also ask whether @IOTrav had ever considered adding that to one the tons of brilliant http://controleverything.com shields.

1 Like

Contacted them and talking to them now, have been working alot with them on other projects and they are fantastic fyi. I have tested many of their boards in my trials and I recommend them to anyone who is looking for industrial type stuff for photon/electron. They are well made and can take some abuse.

1 Like

:joy:
We just sent out a design today for that. Surely you must be speaking with Bhaskar over here. There is no way that’s just coincidence!
Modbus adapter will be an overlay shield that plugs in over the top of Photon/Electron.

3 Likes

:slight_smile: maaaybeeeee . Yes i am, he is awesome as are you all.

I’m looking forward to having that in hand for testing. Not having Mod Bus has always been a thorn in my side. Hardware in hand step 1, step 2 get it working(that may be tricky seeing has I have not worked with Mod Bus in the past).

Me too!. So many things still run on modbus that it hurts not to have a good solution, until CE showed up and made my life easier.

I recommend you to everyone I can. We have used multiple boards from you, I wont list them for competition reasons, but all have performed excellent and the support has been top notch.

Nothing like seeing the look on someones face when you start a 10K piece of equipment from your cell phone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

haha. Yeah with less than $100 in the control electronics generally! I love the new CE+Particle stuff, so easy to use and really reasonable cost wise. Definitely my favorite products to date.

3 Likes

agreed

hello guys, suppose i want to interface two rs485 with single particle photon board then how i connect it…
can any one help me to interface that circuit.