Managing power for a solar / battery powered core

@zachary & @peekay123 Thanks a lot. That clarifies all my questions. We are building a low power plant sensor based on Photon.

Hey guys (@zachary & @peekay123) sorry, I know this thread is old, but I was really hoping to get a little more info on the P1 max current draw reqs. I asked the question here, but haven’t heard back from Particle yet. The P1 datasheet only cites a max draw of up to 600mA and recommends a supply of 1A “to be safe”, but our design is really attempting to be as minimal as possible for spec-ing anticipated current needs. So bottom line is that I’m trying to design our power circuit to supply enough current to the P1 to avoid brownouts, but not more than absolutely necessary. If the P1 really only needs 80-100mA, I’d really rather not design a 600mA (or especially 1A) power supply circuit to drive it, but instead design for what’s the minimal required. Can you please clarify what that actual minimal current is for the P1? Thanks a ton!

I think we need to stick to our 600mA recommendation so as not to give bad advice to the community. I’m very interested to hear though, if you do some testing, what you find typically works for your application @bPura.

1 Like