LoRa vs Xbee vs Xenon

The LORA’s are cheaper, the XBee 900HP will cost more but they are FCC certified.

We have working LORA code to get you going, not sure about Xbee code that will work with the Xbee 900HP radios since some of the XBee code is different depending on XBee radio version that are not compitable with the 900HP models.

What radios are you using? Il get a few!

You can use this with a Photon or Electron.

And then you can use these to send and receive data points:

Can these two (Breakout and Feather) Talk to each other?

Yes, they are both 915 MHz RF95 radios. They can communicate with each other.

You create your network name in your sketch and they both work on that matching network.

This is the current layout of the newest version we are sending to press in the next few days.

In terms of range, do you think I will have similar luck with XBee?

In your opinion what would be the best antenna selection for the capsule?

Xbee 900HP and LORA RFM95 will give you the same ranges basically, I’ve tested them both for range.

1 Like

Another quick question:

What antenna do you recommend we use to maximize the range?

Any settings that I should worry on the XBee configurations to make it work on long range?

Transfer speed can be 1~5hz with a short 200-250 character string that contains the sensor readings and gps coords. So nothing fancy…

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Yagi’s have the highest gain, for your ground station.
Take a Look at Digi’s User Guide for S3B hardware for all the Approved Antennas.

For maximum range, use XCTU.exe to configure both Xbee’s with XBP9B-DP , Xbee PRO 900HP 10K, latest firmware version, highest power level, API mode 2.

Resist the urge to use Transparent Mode.

Select your antenna with a cable as short as possible, and don’t use any additional connectors/converters on the coax…(select antennas with RP-SMA)

1 Like

Thank you!

Q:
Why API Mode? Anything in particular I should know?

I used high gain antennas like this with my units:

https://www.ebay.com/i/221037104237?chn=ps&dispItem=1

I also only got the 900HP radios working with the XBee commander software, never did get it set up with Photons. I just couldn’t find libraries for the 900HP radio line that was easy for me to port to Particle back then.

I find the LoRa radios easier to work with on the Photon since we have working code examples that I can understand.

So I’m not sure how easy working with the 900HP radios will be if you’re starting from scratch with them on the Photon or Electron. Maybe it would be easy for you to get working.

The main thing I liked about the LORA 95w radios was that they were cheaper, provided the same rang with wire antennas and the example code that worked.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

What would be wrong with transparent mode? That seems like a standard TX/RX thing no?

Yea that would work just fine. Just parse the incoming data stream.

The XBEE has a lot of features that are available in the other modes though. I had a book on these but it just confused the shit out of me, seemed overly complicated.

XBee API mode is Much more reliable, and the Library requires API Mode 2.
Look at Andrew Rapp’s XBee library in the Web IDE. Take a look at his GIT page with Arduino Examples.
Your Electron can happily send data through Cellular, XBee, and Lora, if you wish.

I’d consider LoRa and XBee very similar when dealing with Point To Point Comms.

As @RWB said, LoRa is cheaper, XBee has FCC Certification (if that matters to Your Project).

My personal guess is that you will likely get a longer range with LoRa radios, as you can configure many of the parameters.

XBee shines in Mesh Networking, which doesn’t impact your HAB application, but is related to the OP.
I appoligize for Helping to HiJack @jonamleonel Thread.

@frlobo I would stick with the Lora and help us build the LoRa libraries for the Photon & Electron since it’s a really nice long range low power tech.

Check this latest contribution out here: My attempt at RF95 (LoRa)

@syrinxtech Any recommendations?

1 Like

@Rftop @RWB got it…

Since I already have XBee and the boards :confused: but will make Revision 3 for LoRas!

I’ll take a stab at transparent mode for XBee and workout on LoRa In the future.

I too apologize to @jonamleonel for hijacking his thread :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you so much!!! These questions will help me a lot to make a better planning.

Would this antenna work for the Xbee ground station?

ZDA Communications 902-928 MHz Yagi antenna, 17dBi https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E2THEVM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_vjwYAbCWJ0CG8

@RWB, for my money, I’m going with LoRa. I have several XBee Series 1 and 2 units and I liked them OK, but I’m going to stick with Moteinos and Photons with the RF95 radios. And, when the new Particle’s come out later this year, they will get added to the stable.

2 Likes

I’m not sure but probably.

Digi sells/recommends these Laird Antennas which I would assume are proven options, and they look smaller than the one you are looking at.

https://www.digi.com/products/models/a09-y8nf

https://www.digi.com/products/models/a09-y11nf

These should work fine with the 900 MHz LoRa radios also.