Listen Mode (possible bug)

Hey @jenschr, I haven’t been able to run those tests on my end yet, but I will today. My plan is to take a simple sketch and run the memory down bit-by-bit, go into listening mode and see where things fall down. :slight_smile: I’ll keep you posted!

3 Likes

Hey @jenschr I’ve been working on this off and on over the last few days and I’ve determined that the failure point on my Photon (which should be true of the P1 as well) is around 21496 bytes. Are you able to optimize your firmware to get from 17296 to 21500+?

3 Likes

Hi Brandon,
Thanks for confirming this! Pretty sure we can slim it down. It just needs some creative thinking :slight_smile:

J

3 Likes

Glad to hear it, @jenschr. We’ll also do some investigating on our end to see if we can find any ways to save when one enters SoftAP mode. And I’ll also make sure the current state here gets captured in the correct places in our docs. Thanks for bringing it up!

@bsatrom,@ScruffR - Quick clarification :

What is “free memory” here referring to ?
Is this free-memory needed BEFORE entering Listening mode ? Or
Is this free-memory needed AFTER entering Listening mode ?

Also - how does “bss” (in the compile report) fit into this “free memory” definition ?

Thanks,
Dhaval

Roughly speaking total RAM - (bss + data) = free memory on start-up. After that dynamic memory allocation will reduce free memory.

2 Likes

Thanks - that helps !

Any word on the other question :

What is “free memory” on this thread referring to ?
Is this free-memory needed BEFORE entering Listening mode ? Or
Is this free-memory needed AFTER entering Listening mode ?

You should have the said amount of free memory before entering LM in order to even be able to successfully enter LM.

1 Like