How to include libraires using Build?

Using Build, can you add a library without putting it in the public library? I’m using the RTTTL library but it’s not in the public libraries. I didn’t make it so I’m sure I should be the one to post it. Or does that even matter? What is the proper etiquette for this?

Would this work?
https://docs.particle.io/guide/getting-started/build/photon/#adding-files-to-your-app

You can have private libs too, unless you hit publish button, others wont see it.
Useful for making changes to existing libs, you still need a github account, so in that sense its public… (unless webide can pull private repos?)

If the owner of the lib is a private person I usually ping them on their repo and ask if he wants to put it online or if I can do it for him and I usually get the OK.
But since most libs include a license that permits you to do that anyway this is mainly to show curtesy.

I see, three ways to interpret your question :wink:

Thanks everyone!

@Moors7 - That link actually answers a few things. So every time I build a project its packaging the firmware along with the sketch.

When you flash code onto your device, you are doing an over-the-air firmware update. This firmware update overwrites almost all of the software on the device; the only piece that is untouched is the bootloader, which manages the process of loading new firmware and ensures you can always update the firmware over USB or through a factory reset.

@MORA I chickened out before I even saw that. I guess I should be more fearless. :blush:

@ScruffR Ah, I get it. Thank you Obi-Wan.

That’s only true for the Core though, the photon and electron send only the user part. That’s also why they’re so much faster to flash than the Core.

Ohhh. So what is the best way to upgrade the firmware? I swear I found a version of this link (#2-update-the-system-firmware-on-your-electron) somewhere where you could specifically call what version of firmware you wanted.

C:\Bacon\>particle update 0.4.8. blah blah gobbledygook 

Would this work?

Thanks.

I must be losing my mind. I thought it was a one line/one step thing.

@JoseJones usually you can upgrade easily with particle update, but you won’t be able to do that just yet. For one, 0.5.0-rc.1 is a pre-release, so it wouldn’t be available as the default version for something like particle update. Unfortunately there is also no way to add a version to the particle update command either.

My advice if you are updating an electron and have the CLI installed already, is to use these commands:

particle flash --usb system-part1-0.5.0-rc.1-electron.bin
particle flash --usb system-part2-0.5.0-rc.1-electron.bin

over USB to conserve data usage.