How to get linker map file to view

Is there, will there soon be, access to the linker’s map file so one can see how much flash and RAM is used by, and totals for, system, user, stack, heap? And how can skilled users adjust stack/heap sizes if need be?

Without this, one is flying blind.

I see others’ posts on this topic but no resolution.

You can get the linker map file by building using the local toolchain - it’s output alongside the binary. In Dev and Build, the text, BSS and data section sizes are listed in the compile output.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Well… I wasn’t explicit in my question so I’ll restate:
When using the Web IDE, one needs to know how much flash and RAM is unused, and one needs to know the defined sizes of the stack and heap.

bump. s.v.p.

^^

Thanks for the response…
Though I am an experienced embedded developer, as I’m using the Web based IDE at
https://build.particle.io/build/xxxxxx

The term “Dev and Build” - unfamiliar to noob me.
The Web IDE has one-line compile good/bad status. I cannot find, on that web page, where to click to see the sizes as explained in the prior post here.

Apologies for the noob syndrome here.

The docs say there is a click box to show memory, but if there is I can’t find it too.

I don’t see it either. @suda our IDE guru might have more info there.

Sorry my reply before was on the terse side! Yes, Build is our name for Web IDE, and Dev is the local IDE that we produce.

Have you considered using the local toolchain? Then you'll also get the elf file, the map file and the lst file to be able to analyse memory use in detail.

I want to use the Particle Web IDE - for now. It’s just missing the embedded 101 info: how much flash and RAM is unused and how large is the stack and heap. Very fundamental.

Using a local tool chain… maybe later. I already have several installations of GCC (ARM, AVR) due to stove-pipe projects like Arduino and Atmel Studio. Doing another instance of GCC for Particle might break what I already have.

Please just give us a one or two line summary of the basics, as above. Perhaps it’s complicated due to the linkage with the Particle system that’s ever-present in flash. But one just has to know, e.g., do I have enough spare RAM and Stack?

Totally! The WebIDE used to report these figures, so let's hear from @suda why they're no longer visible.

will @suda find this posting?

Yes, when you prefix a name with @ that makes the message appear in that person’s notifications list.

@stevech sorry for long response time!

It looks like after some of our infrastructure changes, API is no longer providing this info. I’ll file a issue for this.

1 Like

@suda Much appreciated. It’s been absent for quite some time.