How to best power a photon with servos from a wall wart [Resolved]

Hi there - I am trying to power a photon with a few mirco-servos all from a single wall wart. Each servo takes 5v and at peak can draw up to 1000ma. My plan was to get a 5v 10a wall wart and then plug that into a breadboard and power everything from that. That said, this is my first major project and would really appreciate some insight/advice!

thanks!

No reason why that shouldn’t work. Power the photon by hooking it up with Vin, and power the servos from the supply as well, then use the control lines to the photon to control them :smile:

2 Likes

I think @Moors7 is right on here but want to add one more thought: Consider adding extra capacitors to the power supply +V and GND such as 0.1uF and say 47uF electrolytic near each servo and the Photon.

Servos can generate a good deal of electrical noise back on to their power supply and so extra filtering can’t hurt. You might not need all servos to have the extra caps or you might try having them just at the Photon. Experiment and see.

1 Like

excellent - thank you!

1 Like

Sounds good - I will give the capacitors a shot.

1 Like

Quick follow up @bko - and sorry for such an elementary question, but what would those capacitors do? Thanks again!!!

That might be a good indication :wink:

1 Like

Hi @jpalay

The motors in the servos generate electrical noise on their power supply connection when they run, plus they can draw a lot of current when the motor goes from a stop to a start and that can cause low-voltage conditions for the other things being powered by the same supply. The capacitors filter the noise and help supply extra temporary current when the motor starts up. The low-value 0.1uF helps with high frequency noise and the larger valued (say) 47uF helps with temporary current and low frequency noise.

This is beneficial since the Photon will work better with a “clean” power supply that does not have noise or low-voltage conditions. You might only need one pair or you might need many depending on your wiring and current needs with multiple servos running at the same time or starting and stopping often. Start with one pair and add as needed–they are cheap parts.

2 Likes

I think I understand now - thank you so much for taking the time to explain
it!

2 Likes

Thanks @bko @Moors7 for the help!