Forcing version 0.2.1 firmware from web Build

Having a problem to use my old code with new firmware 0.2.2. Everything is working good with my old Spark Core but just received my new cores and cant make them work. I need to be able to force programming 0.2.1 when I flash my code. Had looked into doing DFU but not an expert and cant find the way to do it. They say firmware problem with RAM on 0.2.2 causing my code not to work… Sad that existing code cannot work and no way to revert… Any help please… stuck with 5 cores that I cant use for my project.

Hi @MartyMart - rather than building a mechanism for reversion, we’re working on firmware v0.2.3 for which a major focus is RAM optimization. If you’d like to build using an old version of firmware, you can download the core-firmware and build locally. If you install the Spark command line tool, that’s now a much easier way to push code over USB. Hope that helps!

1 Like

Dude! Since when did it do this?

# how to compile a directory of source code and tell the CLI where to save the results
$ spark compile my_project_folder --saveTo firmware.bin

# how to flash a pre-compiled binary over usb to your core
# make sure your core is flashing yellow and connected via USB
# requires dfu-util to be installed
$ spark flash --usb firmware.bin

This sends your source files up to the Spark server to compile, then downloads the completed BIN right?

Even though moving forward is a great goal, I think it would be very beneficial to be able to just specify a switch to select a previous build version for debugging.

spark compile my_project_folder --v 021 --saveTo firmware.bin

I can see creating some user settable macros for compiling and flashing as well.

spark -macro -name M compile my_project_folder --saveTo firmware.bin
spark -macro -name P flash --usb firmware.bin

Then just type

spark M
spark P

While you wait for v0.2.3 you can try to roll back to v0.2.1 locally and give that a try. Here’s some quick links to some ZIP files for each of the 3 libraries you need:

The guide on how to get setup locally:
https://github.com/spark/core-firmware/blob/master/README.md

This sends your source files up to the Spark server to compile, then downloads the completed BIN right?

Even though moving forward is a great goal, I think it would be very beneficial to be able to just specify a switch to select a previous build version for debugging.

spark compile my_project_folder --v 021 --saveTo firmware.bin

I can see creating some user settable macros for compiling and flashing as well.

spark -macro -name M compile my_project_folder --saveTo firmware.bin
spark -macro -name P flash --usb firmware.bin

Then just type

spark M
spark P

is this a do-able thing or a wish list thing?

Yes :wink:

The Macros and Previous Revisions are Wish list :wink: