Flash binary without re-compile

Hi,
OK so I am quite happy compiling code using the Dev environment. Then I can flash into my USB-connected Photon - all goes very well.

BUT - it seems that there is then no way to send that same binary image to another Photon - withut plugging it into my USB ???. Seems I have to re-compile it every time :open_mouth:

So - OK its probably me - and I must be missing somethingā€¦but I ā€˜thinkā€™ I have looked everywhere I can think of ???.

The problem is of course compounded if I have a version of code built with a previous firmware release (like 0.4.6 for example) as the Web IDE is the only (as yet) environment where I can define the firmware to build against ??.

What (I think) we really need is to be able to tell CLI particle flash xxxxx mycode.bin
but it doesnā€™t work :frowning:

Donā€™t get me wrong - I think the Photon is a wondrous beast, and want to deploy more of themā€¦LOTS more :wink:

Thing is that I have a colleague who is testing the ā€˜productā€™ before making it live - so I need to send him a binary and say put this into all your test boardsā€¦currently he needs to plug each one into a USB :open_mouth:

Many Thanks
BR
Graham

If you donā€™t want to flash via DFU-Util, you can do it over the air. Please read the doc here:

https://docs.particle.io/reference/api/#flash-a-device-with-a-pre-compiled-binary

2 Likes

I can't quite follow this.
If I enter particle flash I get this response

3 Likes

Hi,
Yup I just managed to do it :-O. The first few times I tried it didnā€™t seem to work :-O.

Sorry I seem to have been talking out of my **** :open_mouth:

Mind you I also just had a 'mare getting some variables registered on the same module. Kept loading the code and it just didnā€™t seem to do it - nor did it report a failureā€¦theres a Gremlin in my code somewhereā€¦

Sorry to have bothered you again - I did try quite a few times though - honest guvā€™ā€¦

Mind you - your doc tells me a different way :-O.

Are you sure you didnā€™t just change this feature :-O. I swear that an hour or two back the following did not work !! - hence my postā€¦

CLI particle flash xxxx mycode.bin

Now it works like a charm ;-)).

If you didnā€™t change it - Iā€™m going mad - if you did GREAT - MANY THANKS :wink:

Pity the evidence scrolled off my CMD window ā€¦

BR
Graham

Has been there as long I know CLI :wink:

Hi,

So sorry - I tried this quite a few times some time back and gave up - then again this afternoon and it still didnā€™t seem to work.

Looks like I have 8 major problems then - 4 on each hand :frowning:

Thanks once againā€¦

BR
Graham

1 Like