FanRemote.IO - Control your ceiling fans

Hi guys. I wanted to share a project that I've been working on for a few months now.

This is version 2 of a project that I posted about a few years ago:

With this new version it's really simple for anyone to get started and control your regular ceiling fans from your smartphones/tablets/computers without spending a lot of money.

The hardware exists of a breadboard, Photon, transmitter and some wires which costs less than 50$ :smile:

Then you install a universal fan remote kit from Amazon which can be purchased for about 25$. You will need 1 per fan you want to control.

Next you use the FanRemote.IO service to control your fans remotely, schedule them, or integrate them with your Nest Thermostat.

I have posted all the details of what is needed on Hackster.io:

I've been using my service for the last 6 months and it works really well. So I hope others can enjoy it as well.

Please feel free to ask any questions!

2 Likes

@Carsten4207, you don’t mention the source of the transmit module anywhere. Can you specify?

Its in the Hackster BOM as ‘Data Transmit Module’. But dead link. Thanks for pointing it out.

1 Like

Looks like they dont list them anymore. Which is not good. The entire project depends on it. I’ve emailed them to see whats up.

Thanks for pointing it out.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Let us know if you hear back from that company.

1 Like

They have the transmitter listed on their site again. Was just out of stock for a bit.

2 Likes

Is local control via MQTT or REST API available with your firmware or are you looking to turn this into a commercial product with your service?

No MQTT or REST API is available directly via the Photon. But the service does have an API available which will allow you to control your fans.

Commercial product is the goal, but really depends on the interest over the next few months.