Enhancement: MQTT or XMPP based protocol implementation for the Android sdk

Can you please let me know if you have any MQTT or XMPP based protocol implementation for the Android SDK where an android phone can subscribe and listen for the pushes on phone that it has registered itself to listen to.

It needs to be a continues stream where a server can pass data to the phone as it recognize any changes.

For example . A door open event can simply be push from the server and the Android phone can be notified immediately for that event.

There are Server Sent Events (SSEs), which are said to be supported soon: https://docs.particle.io/reference/android/#android-cloud-sdk

I exactly want to know when will this feature be available? @particle_adam

@neil.savant it’s available exactly now in the just-released 0.3.0 of the cloud SDK! :grinning:

Excellent excellent excellent!! Thanks so much! Where do I get to see the documentation? The Android SDK link https://docs.particle.io/reference/android/ is still showing Coming Soon.

Documentation is coming soon :wink: feature is there, you can use the extensive javadoc style comments in the SDK for now - all the info you need is there.

As @ido said, all the docs you’ll need are available in either the javadoc of the relevant classes, or in the README. FWIW, when the docs come (soon!) to the docs.particle.io site, there won’t be any new content there, other than an example of using the event subscription APIs. In short, other than having the nice centralized location and lovely formatting, you aren’t missing out on much with what’s available now. :sunglasses:

Speaking of the example, one should be able to infer how to use the subscriptions just from looking at the API itself and the associated javadoc. However, If that’s not the case, please let us know – if it isn’t easy to infer usage from what’s there now, that’s a clue that the javadoc and/or the structure or naming of the API itself isn’t quite right yet!

1 Like

Thanks so much for the info guys! Thanks for making that quick! Hurt less :wink:

Hi @jensck,

Here is the error that I am getting if I use the new sdk:

Error:Execution failed for task ':app:packageAllDebugClassesForMultiDex'.

java.util.zip.ZipException: duplicate entry: org/kaazing/gateway/client/transport/AuthenticateEvent.class

compile 'io.particle:cloudsdk:0.3.0'
in my gradle file of android

Any insight on this?

Sorry if this is kind of a lame reply, but have you just tried cleaning the build or using a newer version of Gradle? What version of the Android Gradle plugin are you using in your prj?

I noticed that it says your project is using multi-dex. If you’re still having trouble after trying a newer gradle and a clean build, I’ll try putting together a multi-dex project and see if any issues are introduced.