Electron Powersave mode 50ma?

In the datasheet it says Powersave mode is 50ma when the modem is on.
Compared to 180ma normally.
How can I implement this?
Is there a cost in data usage?

Notice it is only 55ma after less than a minute after connecting! Also observed that a 1000mah LiPo or short thin leads stop it from connecting, due to the resistance and current spikes required to connect. I hear every data burst on my speakers. Even with a fully charged Lipo, it does not attempt to send data under these conditions. Complete silence. It blinks green forever. Does this mean that the included 2000mah Lipo will act the same way as it gets older? If you try to connect when it’s at 3.70v? If you extend the leads by 2"?

If the battery can not supply the current needed to transmit it will shut down.

The PMIC bucks the battery voltage to a steady 3.5v. It needs input voltage to be slightly above that.

More specifically it blinks green without trying to send.
Setup() begins to execute but it stops at my statement:
while(!Cellular.ready());

Certainly my 1000mah Lipos can supply 20A. But the current spikes on the short leads drop the voltage below 3.5v. Combined with the higher Internal Resistance. Wouldn’t a cap near the modem help?

@sbright33, I can’t vouch for the battery but why not use the waitFor() macro to timeout on the Cellular.ready() call so it dosen’t hang your code:
waitFor(Cellular.ready(), 10000); // wait for 10s max for ready

What does the waitFor macro do when it is unable to connect?
Shutdown? Save power? Save data? What’s the advantage compared to just keep trying?

Right now it’s blinking all different colors, with the original Lipo. Why?
Fast, slow, red, yellow, aqua…

Why does it sometimes charge, sometimes not? With the same PC and cable. I know the Lipo is getting lower, and it’s not chargind red.

@sbright33, the macro simply waits for the specified amount of time for the specified function return condition. YOU decide what happens if it times out. With this control, you may want to pause for a while before trying again for example. This is just good programming form.

This is another good way to answer this question
https://docs.particle.io/reference/firmware/electron/#waiting-for-the-system

1 Like