Electron Changelog

Just received my backer kit! Very happy with it. Beautifully packaged and very easy to get up and running.
I noticed a couple of little issues, but I haven’t been able to find a feedback link.

1. The little printed overlay card for the breadboard isn’t quite correct. The positions of the holes marked “A0” are actually offset by 1 pin from the actual A0 pin.
  2. The code samples for the LED examples such as “Function Variable” have the LED pin set to “D0” but the printed card has it wired to D6.

Small issues I know, but could be a trap for absolute beginners.

2 Likes

When do you expect to have the Pre-Orders from the store shipping?

We will begin shipping next Monday, February 22nd, and you should receive by Monday, March 7th.

Hey @zwap - thanks for the feedback on the overlay card and code samples. Great idea on a feedback channel. Let me speak with the team and see what’s the best channel for it.

Just got my Electron kit + Asset Tracker shield today (priority 1-day mail - thanks, particle team!). Looking forward to figuring out the GPS board.

1 Like

@zwap the code example in the electron docs has the LED pins set properly, D6 & D7, but the code examples in the atom-editor-IDE and online build IDE are as you say, I think.

Got my Electron and GPS board last night. I had the flashing blue LED problem, but with some additional prodding from David via freenode irc/slack, I did the pin bending trick and now I’m online. Don’t be afraid to try bending those small pins if you’re stuck like I was. Now I’m up and flashing LEDs. :smile:

I wasn’t able to find documentation yet about the GPS card, and I’m excitedly awaiting that. I am hoping to install my electron on a sailboat to track where it goes and report back. (sort of like a movement alarm and breadcrumb tracking tool in one)

Anyone else in my ‘boat’? (haha)

I’m also trying to find documentation about the GPS/Asset Tracker–been wondering if it needs to be powered separately or if it gets powered by the Electron.

Actually, I found some info here.

Some unboxing minutia:

On the cardboard sleeve in the dotted line box under “Designed by a global team”

I can read this – did someone really forget the barcode?

Thanks! This is helping

Oh Boy! Can’t wait to get my hands on mine!

Same on mine. Both…

My Pre-Order Arrived today. :grinning:

1 Like

How do we know when the next version of the firmware is available? 0.5.0?
Will this update happen automatically?
Is it possible to simply get it sooner?
How do we verify that it happened?

It will be announced.

Absolutely not. It's opt-in, and you'll get a warning before trying to apply it. This to prevent accidental upgrades which consume a lot more data than user firmware.

It's very hard to get something before it exists... That said, if you compile locally, you can check out the development branch of the firmware, which would be bleeding edge. At your own risk.

By checking this: https://docs.particle.io/support/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-tools/electron/#display-system-firmware-version

2 Likes

Has the regular release date been announced? I would like to order an Electron and Photon, without double shipping.

I have received the tracking number, but it seems that the package has not been sent. According to the tracking information of DHL, they have received the tracking information, but the package has not been picked up yet. The status has been the same for a week. Do you know if there are some delays between the tracking information and the actual shipment?

Just posted an update - March 15th Electron and New Kits Available on Store on March 15

1 Like

I just activated via my cell phone a new electron (my third). Either I’m getting more observant or there have been some improvements. I’d have to say that the step by step sequence is perfect; far and away the best instructions for anything I’ve ever seen. What great touch it was to see the simulated mode light with an explanation of what was going on, e.g., connecting to particle cloud. Congratulations. I’ve been programming since 1962 mostly failure proof weapon systems and my standards couldn’t be higher.

3 Likes