Eeprom questions

the reference states

“The EEPROM emulator allocates a region of the device’s built-in flash memory to act as EEPROM. Unlike “true” EEPROM, flash doesn’t suffer from write “wear” with each write to each individual address. Instead, the page suffers wear when it is filled. Each write will add more data to the page until it is full, causing a page erase.”

What does this mean in a practical sense?

My need is to read in a few values that might change once a week or so.

thanks steve

@murmsk, in a practical sense it means that for your application, wear will not be issue. Only when pages are written to very frequently is wear an potential issue. :smile:

forgive my ignorance but what is a page?

thanks

In this case it’s the smallest chunk that can be erased individually in the flash area of the chip (I think on that µC it’s 1024bytes).
With flash you can only write (clear) individual bits, but to set a single bit high again, you’d need to erase the whole page, which would mean a lot of wear on the whole page for the sake of only one bit.
For that reason the emulated EEPROM employs some clever tricks not to have to erase a whole page, just for any sort of action - but going into this here might go a bit too far :wink:

1 Like