Detect if a device is connect to power outlet?

Yes. Shutter style tamper resistant outlets are available in the US, although in new construction they are not required, so they are rare. Sales of these devices are low because the cost to install and/or the homeowners lack of confidence/skills to install themselves.

I was once in the child safety industry. Events of children being electrocuted in the home are extremely rare and incidents involving outlets are a small percentage of that. I believe untrained adults undertaking electrical work like retro-fitting electrical outlets or other electrical maintenance may actually be at greater risk. But that doesn't keep companies from fear mongering and marketing these kinds of devices. So if you come up with a cool product, you will likely find a product manager at a juvenile products company interested in marketing it.

@mrabie, I don't know if you've looked int the costs, but UL/ETL/CSA are ridiculously expensive to get a 'new to the world' device approved; particularly where there is no standard from which to test, FYI.

great ideas guys thanks!! looks like it’ll be a very hard thing to achieve… i’ll dig more into it and will keep u all posted.

1 Like

I have a similar scenario. I plan on just using a very low power 5V adapter and plug it into the same outlet with a Tee. When there is power, there’s 5V… And my arduino can sense that directly. That’s ~$4 with no effort.

Am I missing something ?