Datasheet of Photon

The Photon Datasheet is here:
http://docs.particle.io/photon/hardware/

7 Likes

Woo hoo!!! Nice job @BDub!!!

2 Likes

Great work here laying everything out!

There seems to be a really big discrepancy between what was measured above for deep sleep power draw (60uA) and what is in these specs (160uA).

Can we get some help understanding the discrepancy? I thought the new voltage regulator was way more efficient? How is the electric imp 25uA, but the photon misses the mark by so much?

See attached https://github.com/spark/docs/issues/307 that shows the 60uA number. Has there been an error in the published datsheet? @BDub @Dave

@BDub I still see the big discrepancy between the github posted measurements and the datasheet published for deep sleep current draw. Can you please share why those numbers are so far off?

@HardWater and @mashandburn yes I can clarify. The numbers posted in github are from 1 of a handful of hand built photons, and come with a disclaimer. I chose to error on the conservative side of the spectrum for the datasheet until more info can be gathered from a larger sample of production photons. Thanks for hanging in there! Also, if this info is really crucial for a large number of products you are developing with photons, please PM me about your needs and Iā€™ll try to readjust my priorities accordingly.

Thanks a lot

Any idea when is the Photon datasheet going to be available? If it is somewhere please links :smile:

With great difficulty, I was able to extract an (English) datasheet of the BM-09 module from a Chinese forum a couple of months ago. . .but thatā€™s not the Photon module with all the associated circuitry.

Would you happen to have a link to the BM-09 module datasheet? Iā€™d wish they would also have the datasheet for the module here. With most development boards the uC datasheet is available from the supplier, but in this instance there isnā€™t one at least directly available from the website.

Would these new docs be of any help?
https://docs.particle.io/datasheets/photon-datasheet/

Sure that is helpful, but Iā€™d like to find the BM-09 datasheet somewhere. Like STM32F205 datasheet, but is that valid for the BM-09 and also what the pins are etc. I would like to study it.

I emailed the company asking for itā€¦ letā€™s see what they answer. Meanwhile Iā€™ll google, but official source is always better.

OK found this: If you use this it is not my fault if something is not correct

@FistOfTheNorthStar I think thatā€™s the datasheet I found, and itā€™s from a Chinese website. Preliminary and allā€¦authored by Tsai Jason (PDF document properties), 24 pages, 1.25MB?

If youā€™re doing PCB layout in KiCad, Iā€™d be happy to share the footprint I made for it. Deciphering the footprint diagram was a bit of a challenge, but I did succeed.
You can also use the Photon moduleā€™s PCB layout as a guideline to answer any questions (as that obviously works): https://docs.particle.io/datasheets/photon-datasheet/#schematic-p-wi-fi-module

@Moors7: Hoorayā€“the new docs! :fireworks: Waiting for the new Core firmware :sparkles: :boom: :cookie: :cake:ā€¦

That would be awesome!

@FistOfTheNorthStar: What would be awesome? KiCAD footprint, or the new Core firmware?

KiCAD footprint :blush:

@FistOfTheNorthStar: Here you are: A ZIP file containing the EEScheema definition (DCM, LIB), the PCBNew definition (kicad_mod) and the 3D model (WRL).

For EEScheema, youā€™ll need to import the LIB fileā€“I just exported the footprint from a library, actually the system ā€œMicrocontrollersā€ library. For PCBNew, I had a separate project library with the KICAD_MOD file inside; the KICAD_MOD file references the WRL 3D file. I hope you can figure this out!

EDIT: FWIW, the pin references in the EEScheema model on the right side as as follows: STM32 CPU pin name / extended function name / Photon pin name.

1 Like

Who made this awesome interacvtive datasheet for the Photon. Was that you @rickkas7 ?

Yes, that is mine, from a long time ago. I donā€™t think I ever posted a link to it here!

I guess I should finish it and add in the Electron pins now that the secret is out.

2 Likes