Connect and add new wifi via Particle.function

Hi all.

I need to implement a Particle.function to add and connect to new wifi.

What is the best practice for adding new wifi credentials with Particle.function and connecting my device to new wifi via Particle.function?

I wrote something that works, but i think that there is a better way of doing it.
will be happy for some advices,
Thanks is advance. :slight_smile:

If you show what you have we may be able to suggest what to improve :wink:
However, you'll be using WiFi.setCredentials() (with checking the return value for success).
If you want to store creds for a hidden or non-present WiFi network, you need to supply all four parameters to the function.
I usually also call Particle.process() and add some short delay after that, then power-cycle the WiFi module to ensure the new creds taking effect.

4 Likes

Hi ScruffR :slight_smile: thank you for the help!

I had two solutions in mind, the first one was to write a function that recives a string of parameters seperated by a delimiter and parse the recieved string with by that delimiter.
This solution was not so good for a few reasons, one of them is the 32 bytes parameter limit of the particle.function.
Another idea I had was to write a unique function for each argument - first for ssid, second for password etc.
The problem I have with this design is that it seems unefficient (I can only write limited number of cloud functions).
The other thing is, how can I select a WiFi network and connect my photon to it.

That limitation should not apply anymore with 0.8.0-rc.4 and later - it should be now 622byte, but even before it was 63 characters.
So even with the legacy limits you could send a credentials string with a SSID+PWD taking up to 59 characters followed by a two digit number representing encryption and WLAN cipher

You currently can't select which of the stored credentials will be used. The creds stored last will be the ones tried to connect to first.

1 Like