Configuring photon to allow start&stop of data stream (preferably UDP)

Figured id ask this here since im not sure where to go with this (if its the wrong spot sorry in advance mods)

I have been playing around with a esp8266 WiFi chip and after loads of frustration, I am turning to my favorite board to see if i can solve it with less frustration.

I am wondering if it is possible to configure the photon to be able to do a data stream (non video or audio) that either i can connect to with the particle api (but have concerns on the limitations) or being able to connect to the photon its self and have the photon act as the server that streams the data (preferably with UDP since i need to hit a 5ms latency and there is less dropped packets with UDP but ill take UDP or TCP if it means getting a data stream i can connect to and code against.)

flow as follows:
data from other device -> photon (stream host for WiFI (will be switching to mesh when it comes) -> client requesting info (non web browser) (phone app, desktop app)

any help or insight into this would be appreciated!

That very much depends on the data throughput you're planning to achieve.
You need to service two concurrent connections plus the particle cloud which will be limiting your max throughput.

5ms should not be an issue on your local network, but via the internet it might get tight.

Not sure which API you'd have in mind, but I can't think of one that would fit the streaming part of your intent.

But what is the part of the problem that can't be done with the ESP itself?