Communicating with an I2C LCD

Hi,

I’m trying to get a Winstar1602B, VATN, I2C LCD up and running. I believe it’s wired correctly (including a potentiometer for dimming), I’ve used the I2C scanner and have the address (ox3c), and I’ve tried to read a lot about how I2C works.

I’ve tried the Liquid Crystal I2C library, but it hasn’t worked. I haven’t seen much information on Winstar displays being used with arduino/particle, so I’m wondering if the library would need to be modified to work with this display. Even if the library does work, I also would like to understand I2C better than just using a library.

I’ve used I2C libraries a lot, but have never used the Wire library to do my own I2C programming. I’ve learned through Arduino and Particle, don’t know C, and know a little C++.

My main question: Can someone help me understand how to interpret the following instructions table and/or the following demo code from the application note?

For example, in the instructions table - what would the code equivalent be to turn the display on/off? I think once I have an example, I can figure out the rest of the commands.

Alternatively, if I’m just repeating questions, is there an I2C resource that explains what I’m asking elsewhere? I haven’t found something that helps me interpret this instructions table yet.

Thanks!

I2C Demo Code:

// I/O define

#define I2CSA0 
#define I2CSA1

sbit RS
sbit CSB
sbit SA0
sbit SA1
sbit SCL
sbit SDA 

// IIC write command 

void WRITE_CODE(unsigned char I2C_CONTROL, unsigned char             I2C_data){			
unsigned char adds = 0x78; START_CON();
Write_control(adds + I2CSA0 + I2CSA1)
Write_control(I2C_CONTROL); 
Write_data(I2C_data) ;
STOP_CON();
}

void START_CON(){					
SDA = 1; 
SCL = 1; 
SDA = 0; 
SCL = 0;
}

void Write_data(unsigned char data1){				
unsigned char count=0;	

for(count=0;count<8;count++){ 
if(data1&0x80)					
SDA=1; 
else			
SDA=0;					
data1 <<= 1; 
SCL=1; 
SCL=0;
}				
Ack_Check(); 
}

void Write_control(unsigned char C_CONTROL){				
unsigned char count=0;

for(count=0;count<8;count++){
 if(C_CONTROL&0x80)				
SDA=1; 
else					
SDA=0;

C_CONTROL<<=1; 
SCL=1;
SCL=0;					
}					
Ack_Check(); 
}

void STOP_CON(){				
SCL = 1;			
SDA = 1; 
}

void Ack_Check(){ 
SDA = 1; 
SCL = 1;

do{
SDA = 0;					
SCL = 0; 
}while(SDA);

//INITIALIZE

void Initial_1063(){					
RS = 0;
CSB = 0;
SA0 = I2CSA0;
SA1 = I2CSA1;
SCL = 1; 
SDA = 1; 		

WRITE_CODE(0x00,0x38);  //SET 2 LINE,5*8 FONT
CGRAM(); 
WRITE_CODE(0x00,0x08);  //Display off
WRITE_CODE(0x00,0x06);  //Entry mode set
WRITE_CODE(0x00,0x01);  //CLEAR DISPLAY
delay(1); 
WRITE_CODE(0x00,0x0c); //DISPLAY ON,Cursor OFF,Cursor Blink             OFF					
}

Winstar=Raystar see my post here How to connect I2C LCD to electron? it takes a little modification but it does work. There would appear to be a port of the same library here https://github.com/pkourany/ST7306LCD_Library although it doesn’t appear to be in the library so don’t know if its complete.