Can Boron be used to recieve and send SMS?

Yes - the Cellular.command() user API should essentially give you access to the u-blox modem’s full list of supported AT commands.

1 Like

Has anyone tried sending text messgaes with a Boron(recently)? Supposedly Cellular.command() is implemented in 0.9.0 and it does seem to do something. Unlike the previous versions where it always returned -120 (not implemented, the AT+CMGF=1 returns -2 (OK). But the AT+CMGS= seems to cause the device to crash (it never sends any data and can’t be pinged until it is power-cycled, though it is still breathing cyan)

I have the same issue with the same u-blox R410 modem & firmware, but on the Arduino MKR NB 1500.

Modem works mostly OK (also locks up sometimes when trying to create an outbound TCP socket to Hologram). See my earlier posts. ^^^

There is also this post to check:

Activating any SMS command on this modem on the Arduino (also done via AT commands, as you have) seems to quickly hang the modem, and a full power cycle is required to set things right. Adding the Idiot’s Kludge (delays) at various points in the program seemed to help, but only sometimes / sporadically.

My Grand Conspiracy Speculation: I cannot help but wonder if this issue is partly to blame for the delay in the Arduino’s 1500’s release from the North American Arduino Store, and why there is still no community support for this board on the Arduino community forum. The Arduino MKR NB 1500 has been announced as “coming soon” since May of last year.

For the record, I tried it again with 1.2.0-beta1, and it’s still not working for me. Calling Cellular.command with AT+CMGF=1 hangs the boron on until it is power cycled.

Hi I hope it is Ok to resurrect this topic. I’m wanting to use SMS with an Australian provider’s Sim to control some home electronics. I’ve been using Arduino Programing language for a few years and Have been hopeful as I move toward different hardware to build this project I have just received my Boron LTE and Hope that this LTE Board will be able fit my purpose. I’m hoping the issues have been resolved since then.

Kiera,

Welcome to the community! I hope you find the help you need here.

You could accomplish your objective using a 3rd party service. For example, when my Particle cellular devices send data to Ubidots, there is an events engine that sends and SMS (or Slack, or Telegram or email) based on the value.

Similarly, you could use a service like Twillio which you publish a webhook to that would do the same thing (link posted above).

Would this type of solution work?

Chip

What I am wanting to do is to send a message to to a box of electronics eg “Air OFF” and the box will send an IR message to my Air Con to turn it off so I’m not wasting electricity then on my way home in the Afternoon in Summer when the Temperature is 40C+ (38C =100F) I can go “Air ON” when I’m 1/2 hour from home and I won’t have to wait too long for the temperature to be comfortable. sending a SMS from my phone to an Australian Number is basicly free with most phone deals in Australia while every MB is charged so sending SMS from my phone to the boron if this can not be done I will be looking for a way to use the Boron as a 4G Modem for my DIY Raspberry Pi (4) based Laptop. If I wanted to do messages from phone to the Box of electronics Via a website I wouldn’t have used a boron I would probably have just used a wifi add on board or module if I need to use a web service for telling my home electronics to do stuff then It will not be via the mobile phone network that is much more expensive than via an unlimited Broadband Data I have at home.

Just for the record, I tried this again with 2.01. Calling Cellular.command with AT+CMGF=1 hangs the boron on until it is power cycled (even though it is stil breathing cyan you can’t ping it or send it any commands)

Answer to the question in the title directly, with the answer I wish I would have gotten when I first joined the platform: No.

It is not supported and in my experience it does not work reliably. Use the suggested 3rd party services.

1 Like