Battery power Xenon

Thanks for going to the trouble of doing that test. Room temp is perfect for the test anyway since I’ll be powering and setting up the device at room temp before installing it in the deep freeze and that’s probably the worst case anyway. 3xAA Lithiums should give me plenty of power for the year, without the regulator overhead.

I don’t know about sleep current for the latest firmware, the guide I’ve been using is a February forum thread here Early 0.9.0 Xenon current consumption measurements that puts it under 50uA and leads me to believe 10 seconds on every 10 minutes will give me my year with power to spare. Sampling every 10 minutes is ideal and dropping to 15 or 20 if needed is still acceptable.

I am planning to wake on a schedule. I just read the TPL5111 datasheet. It’s an impressive chip that would work perfectly here if I need the extra power savings. And the Xenon in sleep mode takes about 1500 times as much power as the TPL5111. That’s also the first time I’ve ever seen the quadratic formula used in a datasheet which was interesting. Eventually I want it to log any exposure to light if the enclosure is opened, I was thinking a phototransistor on an interrupt would do that, but for now I’m focused on basic data-logging. It would probably work with the TPL5111 ON pin anyway.

1 Like