Assigning static IP for photon in listening mode

Hi @ScruffR, thanks for the response. To get a sense of what I should do next, I would like to ask a few more questions.

SoftAP by default exposes an IP address 192.168.0.1 and that cannot be changed as it is part of the 3rd party WICED firmware.

Does it mean I could configure photon 2 as a TCP client/server using this IP (192.168.0.1)?

Also raw TCP is not (fully) supported in SoftAP mode.

Could you elaborate a little here? I saw in your previous response to the old post Particle photon as an Access Point and web browser as a client! - #4 by jdsarode you said:

You might be able to run the loop() with SYSTEM_THREAD(ENABLED) but no guarantee that it’ll work reliably.

and

Yes, that’s the way how the SoftAP setup page does work to provide WiFi credentials, but you need to consider that you are in Listening Mode at that time, so you have some restrictions - for instance you have no cloud or internet connectivity at that time. And the Photon is also limited how many clients can be serviced concurrently.

I am ok with photon 2 not able to connect to the internet and I only need communication between two photons, but I am a bit worried about having SYSTEM_THREAD(ENABLED) may not work reliably. Could you give me some ideas of the pitfalls that comes with a photon in SoftAP being configured as a TCP server/client?

Thanks.