ANNOUNCEMENT: Android SDK finally here!

The long term plan is to put it on Play. There is a server layer between the app and Particle Cloud required for calculations and user management. Is there a reason using a master account is a bad idea? I understand security of the master would be critical.

Hi jensck,

I dropped the Cloud SDK code example inside of the exampleapp OnClick event. The return type of callApi is flagged as invalid. Cloud SDK 0.2.1.

ParticleCloud.get looks to be deprecated.

Embedding the credentials of the master account in an app distributed to the public is virtual guarantee that someone will get access to those credentials. This isn’t a problem specific to the Particle SDK though, and it’s more than I should probably get into here.

Re: the deprecation, you’re correct. It still works, but as the javadoc on the deprecated method mentions, the new method for accessing it is ParticleCloudSDK.getCloud().

As for the return type, this is just a quirk of Java generics and the type system. The short answer: change your return type to Void (note capitalization) and end the callApi() method with return null;

1 Like

Event handling/pub/sub for Android is coming real soon.
Updates here:

Update: it’s finally here! Grab version 0.3.0 of the Android cloud SDK get your event on. Look at the subscribe* methods and associated javadoc on ParticleCloud and ParticleDevice for more info!

2 Likes