Acceptable amount of Used Memory

In versions > 0.8.0 new diagnostic information gets sent to the cloud. For me part of it pertaining to memory usage looks like:

“memory”:{“total”:83200,“used”:59960}"

I’ve read before that the WiFi stack can run into problems if the amount of usable Heap gets too low or it becomes too fragmented. What is an acceptable amount of used memory?

Let me ping someone that might be able to help, @rickkas7 or @ParticleD are you able to assist?

@KyleG I have a question related to the original question. I didn’t see a solution or a reply from @rickkas7 or @ParticleD hence thought it best to add to this thread…

I am using softAP to setup wifi credentials. As my application has become more complicated and now on 0.8.0-RC.11 I am noticing that sometimes the wifi credentials process may hang at different points due to insufficient memory. I can prevent this by checking there is sufficient free memory/heap before allowing the softAP process to be initiated. One thing I have noticed is that 2 photons with the same device OS and same application and started up the same way on the same WAP can settle with different amounts of heap - is there a reason for this and can it be engineered out? I am setting the freeMemory level at 39700 to ensure the process will work.