Troubleshooting: My Core is flashing yellow/red lights after it connects to wifi

leave is for the DFU-util to ask the core to reset after downloading via USB :smile:

Blink some lights and celebrate the birth of your :spark: core? :dancer:

Hi @johnbo,

Awesome, glad you got it working!

The spark keys doctor command is maybe still a bit too brittle, and should do more to check modes, give better prompts, and retry if there are failures. I’m guessing something like, the writeKeyToCore command reported a failure and it didn’t progress. I’m glad you were able to dig in! Yay open source! :slight_smile:

If you felt like it, a bug report / issue on the github repo would be very appreciated: https://github.com/spark/spark-cli/issues?state=open

Thanks!
David

1 Like

I’ll file a bug report this evening. Unfortunately, the day job conflicts with the fun bits…

Later,

johnbo

2 Likes

@Dave @zachary - Hi, think I have a handshake issue. Have just emailed ID and key to hello@spark.io.

Hope this info is helpful and can get core connected soon.

Thanks
Rick

2 Likes

After the spark keys doctor, I also needed to do the spark keys send core…

It is probably worthwhile getting the documentation updated for spark to reflect that you might need to do this

1 Like

Hi @vk2tds,

Thanks! The keys doctor is supposed to do this as well, there was a bug on this, but I thought it was fixed. I’ll double-check. :slight_smile:

Thanks!
David

1 Like

I moved 17 posts to a new topic: Core not accepting new private key

Thx @Dave, worked like a charm!

1 Like

Hi

I have a problem with my core, after send it the WIFI credentials, the Led began blinking in cyan, after that changed to red/yellow and finally to red, and again the cycle.
I read the help here, and try create the new keys for my core with command $ spark keys doctor, but make an error:

c:\dfu\win32>spark keys doctor 54ff6c066667515148491267
running dfu-util -l
FOUND DFU DEVICE 1d50:607f
running openssl genrsa -out 54ff6c066667515148491267_new.pem 1024
Error creating keys… Error: Command failed: “openssl” no se reconoce como un comando interno o externo,programa o archivo por lotes ejecutable.

Make sure your core is in DFU mode (blinking yellow), and that your computer is
online.
Error - Error: Command failed: “openssl” no se reconoce como un comando interno
o externo,
programa o archivo por lotes ejecutable.

I reinstall the openSSL program and try again but the result is the same.

The spark version is 0.4.4

I hope you can help me.

Thank you

Ayax

Hi @Yackodrino,

It looks like your openssl installation probably isn’t on your path, which would make sense if you installed it, but it can’t be found. The path variable tells windows where to look for programs, here’s a random article on how to add stuff to it for various versions of windows:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/environment/paths.html

I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
David

1 Like

This is awesome. If you’re not certain if this is the right fix for you - here is a video displaying the color-rotation observed that I recored of my core for which this solved the issue.

1 Like

How do you find and send the new public key?

1 Like

Hi @ryanwoltz,

The CLI keys doctor command will attempt to do this for you if you’re logged in:

particle keys doctor you_device_id 

#or you can send the key manually with:
particle keys send you_device_id your_new_key.pub.pem

Thanks,
David

I know these instructions are bit dated at this point, but how do you handle an error such as this one?:

1 Like

Hi @helenvholmes,

Once your device and the cloud decide on a key, it becomes "locked’ by the owner of that device until a new key is sent. This error means that someone else / a different claimed that core that you’re using, so the cloud won’t let you change its key.

edit: the other possibility is that this device wasn’t provisioned on the cloud properly. If you grab the DeviceID from the device and email us at hello@particle.io we can help get you up and running quickly!

Thanks!
David

Hello,
I have been having this problem with a Spark Core (rapid flashing orange light) and I have successfully worked through most of the steps to generate new keys. The last part fails though: “particle keys send deviceID generated_public_key.pem” gives the output “Error sending public key to server: Permission Denied”.
Does this method no longer work? I resorted to it as the doctor command didn’t work. I could e-mail the public key.

1 Like

Hi @dansw81,

Good question! This feature still works, but you’ll be denied access if the device has been claimed by a different user. And you need to make sure the “deviceID” part is a literal deviceID 300xxxx00xxxx4323xxxx23x, etc.

Feel free to send me the public key and device id if you want, and I can help get things working again if you’re still stuck.

Thanks!
David