Using mesh without cloud?

With my mesh device (is that gen 2? not sure) I can use the Particle Workbench to write code and compile it all locally, without having it sent to the cloud, then program it via DFU mode. I only activated this device once, but because I had issues with the setup process (apparently the OnePlus 5 has known issues with setup), I couldn’t actually create a new mesh with it, so I just unclaimed it and started to try and do this all locally (so I haven’t really used the Particle Cloud stuff, including it’s mesh capabilities, but the requirements for this project mean I can’t use it anyway).

Gen 2 is Photon/Electron/P0/P1/ESeries/etc. Gen 3 is mesh Argon/Boron/Xenon. Gen 2 activation is a bit different because you don’t have to create a mesh network at the same time.

On Gen 3 you don’t need to create a mesh at the same time either - it prompts you for that when you are adding the device.

i have a few questions about the NCP

1. is there any way to check the NCP version currently installed on an Argon?
  2. will an Argon function if , for instance, a factory fresh Argon is updated using the hybrid-0.9.0-argon.bin but not updating the NCP?
  3. what would be some symptoms of an Argon that was updated from factory fresh to hybrid-0.9.0-argon.bin but the NCP is not updated to 0.0.5?
    thanks
    edit: i wanted to add that as far as checking the NCP version my understanding is that the esp32 uses AT commands. i’m aware of adafruit developing a programming method using anaconda and micropython via their hack circuitpython. i have the packages installed but am hesitant to start writing the adafruit system to the argon because for one it’s about 2 months old and probably very untested. i’m curious if anyone is familiar with what they are doing. primarely also interested in if there is another method to send AT commandS & get responses from the esp32. thanks.