[Photon] Unable to flash new code

Here we go - see here https://hybris.box.com/s/y97vhjhodxrom5oqaet7lh6en90mojzc

Please let me know how to proceede.

Cheers
Sven

Hi @mdma - did you get any insights out of the dct.bin that I shared? Iā€™d love to get the photon back alive.

Cheers
Sven

Hi there Sven, Could you please try updating to the latest 0.4.3 release.

And then weā€™ll take it from there!

Cheers,
mat.

just updated to 043 seems to be working!

1 Like

Hi @mdma, just used dfu-util to flash with 0.4ā€¦3 - the photon now blinks white again, just like before. Please let me know what I can do.

I am working with another photon now, @mdma, but Iā€™d love to figure out what happened to the first one. It itā€™s a pure hardware issue, could I get it replaced?

Hello there @hansamann. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Please try safe mode and let me know what happens. Thanks! :smile:

Hi @mdma, just tried it and itā€™s really weird. It will simply start flashing white again immediately. It flashes once per second I think, thatā€™s it.

One thing I noticed, that I also donā€™t understand: I can reach teh dfu mode for example (yellow) by just holding the setup button. I should require the reset / setup both and then release reset I guess. Or my device is somehow stuck in thsi white flash mode.

The reset button itself seems to work - pressing it stops the white flashing, but releasing it will immediately start the white flashing againā€¦

Thanks for trying that. Do you have access to a JTAG programmer?

This is a shot in the dark but I had a Core that had a bad RGB LED and showed unexpected colors. Are you seeing the range of colors (red, green, blue) or only a limited set? In other words, this could be a bit of a wild goose chase.

The rgb led seems to be good - can change to yellow dfu mode etc .

Sorry, noā€¦

The explanation for not needing to press the reset button is that the device is continually resetting.

I think the DCT area has become corrupted before the system was able to update the bootloader to fix the corruption.

Just for our diagnostics - did you perform a factory reset at any time?

I think you may need to open a ticket with our support team to arrange return of this device.

Hi @mdma, thx for the info. I definitely tried a factory reset. Iā€™ll contact the support team in this case. Thx a lot.

Thanks for confirming. When the DCT is corrupt, a factory reset puts the device in an endless loop, from which we canā€™t recover.